PDA

View Full Version : making my road align to my ground

carrot999
06-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me with what is likely to be a very silly newbie question....
I have a simple grid ground/landscape with hills and valleys etc.
I also have a curving road that i want to sit on the landscape.
I have tried setting up a collision in layout to make the road (clothFx) fall onto the ground (collisionFx) then saving the transformed road object, but this hasnt been althogether successful.

Is there another way i can mould one object to conform to the contours of another?

Many thanks, Lisa
LW9, XP Pro 32bit

SplineGod
06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Kia Ora! :)

Theres quite a few ways....
You can try using the BGConform tool in LW, KO polyfit or pointfit, movepointonbackground etc etc and can be found on flay.com.

You can also copy your landscape into another layer and use the stencil function to cut the road into it and delte the rest of the lanscape. Extend the road up slightly and paste it back into the original landscape.

You can pick points off the landscape, make splines and spline patch or rail extrude geometry.

You can also do the road as a texture/displacement map. :)

G M D THREE
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Its a bit hard to tell without seeing your models. There is probably more than one way to do this. For example you can draw a spline in modeler along your landscape and than rail extrude the road. Other approach could be rigging your road with a few bones and than use those to bend your road's height in layout to fit the landscape.

Hope thats of any help. ///

voriax
06-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Or you could go the other way.. lay out your road close to the surface of the terrain, then alter the terrain to fit to the road.. That's how they're made in reality, kinda. The ground is cleared/moulded/flattened for the road to lay on it, not so much the other way around.
However, Splinegod's spline suggestion to me makes the most sense - using rail extrude.

carrot999
06-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Awesome help! Thanks so much to you all for your suggestions.
It seems so simple now, and i cant believe how close i was. I did create my road using rail extrude on a spline, but this was flat, not contoured to the landscape, hence i was trying to use a collision to mould my flat road to the landscape...but of course, create the original spline to the contours of the landscape!
Might also try the stencil suggestion by SplineGod as that sounds really interesting too.

Thanks again :)