PDA

View Full Version : music question from newbe

Youthpastor
06-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Ok this I am sure is easy but I have no idea how to add audio files. I what to add music to a project. The video is complete and now to finish I what to add a music background. Can I do this from a CD, or a MP3 file? Also, how do I Mute the audio of the complete project without muting each clip? Plus, is there a way to "lock" a video or audio track after you have made addjustmets so you do not make changes my mistake, like when you add a music file? Lots of trouble from the new guy I know.
Fred

JackJ
06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Sure. All you need to do is rip a .wav, mp3, or other SE compatible format from a CD, or find it already online, and drag in onto your timeline.

To mute everything you have so far (and to keep from messing with it unintentionally) you can throw it all into a subproject, then it becomes one big layer, and you can mute that (just select all the clips and hit the subproject button) (You can also make several smaller subprojects if there are certain logical chunks you want to break up)

Hope that helps.

SBowie
06-25-2007, 08:10 PM
You can also use the Basic Audio filter from the Effects folder for global audio changes.

Jim_C
06-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Can I do this from a CD, or a MP3 file?

It may have changed with Speed Edit, but in most cases, VT-Edit was happier editing wav files as opposed to mp3, wma, etc. It can work, but not as reliably.(Again , may be more consistent with Speed Edit). But if you have a choice, use a wav.

Also, how do I Mute the audio of the complete project without muting each clip?

Set a toolshed preset to -.01 for main volume, hit ctrl/a and apply, or hit ctrl/a right click on one file and choose disable audio, or spin the volume knob that is in the bottom right of the interface.

Plus, is there a way to "lock" a video or audio track after you have made addjustmets so you do not make changes my mistake, like when you add a music file?

Unfortunately... No. Although it has been a HUGE request,locking clips is not an option.
You can set markers on the timeline and within clips to help give you a visual reference and let you know is something has slipped.

Welcome... :)

Jim

Youthpastor
06-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks gang. I was attempting to drag the MP3 file but for some reason it would not work last night, but this morning I had no problems with dragging the audio file into the project. Locking tracks would be very helpful for an all thumbs guy like me. Learning to control audio levels seems like it will just take some time. Some clips I want muted some I want but a lower levels, and often I add sound FX and music. Thanks again. Fred