PDA

View Full Version : Trans. modes like AFX per working layer

Qslugs
02-20-2003, 03:56 PM
I would like to see Transfer type modes like in After FX, or the layer modes like in Photoshop. Someone can correct me if they are already in there, I do know that you can stamp one layer down on top of the other using one of the "modes". But... as far as I can tell there is no way to setup a working layer so that you are viewing your art constantly with one of the modes applied or turned on.

pepe
02-22-2003, 02:51 AM
If Aura were to use different blending modes, it will not be as fast as it is now. This is due to an internal trick that would not work if using other modes, and would force to effectively merge all layers for each pixel drawn (what it does not do actually)
In fact, when you select an image of a layer, Aura preblends the layers in front of the current layer in a single one, and all the background in an other one. Thus, whatever the number of layers used, it always blends the same amount of layers, that is 3. If you were to add different modes of mixing, it would be impossible to use such trick, as you'll have to remember what mode to use for blending that precise pixel of the buffer, with the eventual blending of the previous ones, bla bla bla..
Sure, it would be fun to have that option...

Qslugs
02-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Well, I see your point. If this is in fact the case, then maybe if someone made a plugin to see what any two layers merged in any of the modes looked like, that might be a better solution.

pepe
02-23-2003, 02:45 AM
There is such a plugin, but it is not only a merge plugin, and is not as automatic as a layer stack. On an other hand, it gives you the possibility to apply effects and filters to your layers, and see your layer modified by those effects after each modification, stroke, ...

Have a look in the software section of:
http://kframed.com

Qslugs
02-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Do I sense a sales pitch here?

pepe
02-24-2003, 02:27 AM
Nope. Not for you.
There is free version that you can download, and use to do that, without limitations.
It is limited for saving, but as you don't save and just watch the preview window, it will do the job, for free.
Nevertheless, it is quite common on these boards that authors or users redirect people to solve their problems.

Have fun..

Qslugs
02-24-2003, 07:33 AM
I am just joking of course. I am glad you pointed me to that. I will check it out to see what it does exactaly. Maybe if I get a job in that needs me to do extensive Aura work, I'll pick up a copy. :)

pepe
02-24-2003, 07:49 AM
It could have been a regular question. It may be questionnable for authors of tools to promote themselves such a way, but as everyone around does the same and nobody cries, i thought it could be done without problems.
Damn boards, tone of discussions is often so hard to get without smilies. (when english skills do not enter the game and squeeze the meaning of a sentence...) :D

Do as you like, if you have questions, i'll be happy to answer them ( on our boards or newtek's third parties one)