PDA

View Full Version : 9.2 update

Stingslang
06-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Is 9.2 an update that anyone can download?

Chilton
06-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi,

Yes, if you're a registered 9.0 user.

-Chilton

Stingslang
06-25-2007, 07:27 PM
just to make sure this also includes people who use the educational lisences?

BeeVee
06-26-2007, 06:05 AM
Yes, everyone who has LightWave 9 is entitled to LightWave 9.2.

B

mass710
07-04-2007, 07:07 PM
i donwloaded v9.2 update, but how can i register?

Thanks.

byte_fx
07-04-2007, 09:41 PM
umm ...

you shouldn't need to register an update .... it's only an update.

it uses the registration ftom 9.0

byte_fx

mass710
07-04-2007, 10:03 PM
how can i work in LW V9.2 with discovery edition? I have to register the same process v9.0 again?

Thanks.

byte_fx
07-04-2007, 10:27 PM
install the update -

MysteryMonkey
07-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi,

Yes, if you're a registered 9.0 user.

-Chilton

Its possible I missed an announcement but is the U.B. version out of beta testing yet? When are we going to see the release of the Universal Binary if it isn't out yet?

BeeVee
07-05-2007, 08:22 AM
It's not out of beta yet, and "soon" is the official release date.

B

MysteryMonkey
07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
It's not out of beta yet, and "soon" is the official release date.

B

NEWTEK,

I know it won't do a single bit of good but I have to say this past year has just been so FRUSTRATING! A year ago I made a big leap of faith to choose LightWave to use in a classroom situation teaching 3D Animation. The classroom Macs all PPC but my computer a MacBook Pro. We bought version 9 as it was coming out to use for the Spring 2006 Semester. Throughout the Spring I was constantly dealing with finding out that something that worked on one didn't work on the other. Do you know how hard it is trying to plan a lecture and teach a class when you don't know if what you're going to show your students will work on their PCC even if it does work on your laptop? You can be sure that this problem made a definite impression on the students, but not one in a way the NewTek probably wanted. Many asked why we weren't using something else like Maya. I assured them that LightWave is a great program and this was just growing pains that will be for the best. We made it through the Spring Semester but things could have gone much smoother.

My real problem now is that the 9.2 update is available for the PPC there is going to be an even greater disparity this coming Fall semester between what the students have to work with and what I have to work with. I know people out there will say just get the Beta but THAT is not the right solution. Getting the U.B. version out of Beta is the only right solution. If I could have forseen this far in advance when I made the decision a year ago to choose LightWave to put in the classroom I may have made a completely different decision back then. I believe that LightWave is a great program and a real value for the money but GEEZ, how long can this get dragged out!?

Please tell me this is NOT going to continue into the Fall semester. Please tell me the UB release is going to be out in late July or early enough in August so everything can be installed and configured on all 20 computers for our first day of class in the 3rd week in August.

Yeah, I know the answer already . . . soon :thumbsdow

You have go to know that is so disheartening to hear that.

mass710
07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Byte_fx,

THANKS A LOT. I DID THIS.

mrpapabeis
07-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Mr. Monkey,

I hope this finds you in good health and spirits. First i'm sorry to hear about your frustrations. I teach at a local college. I went through similar pains when OS X first came out. Long story. Anyway... The school uses Maya. It too has had it's problems. My students ask why we don't use 3Ds MAX! Macintosh has a tendancy to make abrupt changes. Nubus to PCI, OS9 to OSX, PPC to Intell to name a few. Progress is often "painfull" unfortunately. I really do feel for you though. I've been in your position more than once. I tell my students "welcome to the real world". The world of crashes, deadlines, old computers, Macintoshes (no, Shake won't work on your PC at home), no sleep, deadlines, drives gone bad, mis-behaving software, Mis-behaving hardware (my curses on AVID systems), petulant tech support ( not Newtek), and so on....

Take a deep breath, you made it through the semester.

best wishes,

Mr. Papabeis

byte_fx
07-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Byte_fx,

THANKS A LOT. I DID THIS.

No problem.

Enjoy the goodness.

byte_fx

MysteryMonkey
07-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Mr. Monkey,

I hope this finds you in good health and spirits. First i'm sorry to hear about your frustrations. . . . I really do feel for you though. I've been in your position more than once. I tell my students "welcome to the real world". The world of crashes, deadlines, old computers, Macintoshes (no, Shake won't work on your PC at home), no sleep, deadlines, drives gone bad, mis-behaving software, Mis-behaving hardware (my curses on AVID systems), petulant tech support ( not Newtek), and so on....

Take a deep breath, you made it through the semester.

Hi Mr. Papabeis,

Sounds like we've both been through similar experiences teaching digital "art" classes over the past several years.

Yes, my students and I made it through the Spring semester and then I set the computer aside for several weeks. There was some very good work turned out by my students, but they could have had a better classroom experience if v9 had been more stable and more consistent between the PPC and Intelmacs.

What got me riled up was today I started preparations for the Fall semester and then I realized that whatever I started preparing to do was/is subject to change without notice depending on what the final 9.2 revision release contains. I could spend hours working with one "new" feature or another and it might not even be in the new release when it comes out or not work the way I learn to do it. I even had hoped to make some video tutorials this summer to make it easier for my students to learn, but what good would that do if what I record is different from what we actually have to work with in the Fall.

I know as teachers we deal with such circumstances time and time again and we must adapt to it, but that doesn't mean we need to like it and always keep quiet. I've held my tongue for quite a few months about this problem with v9 - v9.2 but today was finally the day I needed to speak out. I know it doesn't do any good and doesn't get the newest fixed version released any faster, but d*mn it, it did make me feel better to say it!

I know the techs at NewTek are working hard but I don't think anyone could deny this has really dragged on for much too long. Beta versions are just that, we need to see the "real" UB version sooner rather than later.

Thank you for listening to my rant!

Cheers

BazC
07-06-2007, 01:28 AM
What kind of differences do you mean? In my experience the PPC version works pretty well on Intel, it's just slow. But since you're on Intel and your students are on PPC there probably won't be that much difference.

I agre the UB seems to be taking a long time but I'd much rather it was done right than quickly!

MysteryMonkey
07-06-2007, 06:10 AM
What kind of differences do you mean? In my experience the PPC version works pretty well on Intel . . .

I agre the UB seems to be taking a long time but I'd much rather it was done right than quickly!

And I'd rather it be done now & done right.

Off the top of my head (and I might misspeak because its a bit foggy this morning) one example would be the materials preset. It was functional in modeler on my Intel but barely worked in Layout. I prepared my lecture notes based on that information but the reality is that it was quite functional in both Modeler and Layout on the PPC. One might ask so why is that a problem? It is because I wasted my student's time telling them something that wasn't true. For the most part it was little things like that I guess, but one really big annoying thing was/is that frickin HUB. I actually didn't have any problem with it on the Intel machine. Worked as it was supposed to. so when everyone's computers crashed, and crashed, and crashed I was puzzled as to what the problem was. For some reason the crashing problem didn't present itself for the first several classes. Then when it manifested, it just happened to a few here and there, then all of a sudden during one session it happened over and over again. It took a bit to get a line on what had happened. Still no real explanation as to why the crashes were irregular at first and then got progressively worse, but as soon as the HUB was turned off that problem went away.

Look, its tough enough teaching a class for the first time, but its even tougher teaching it with software that is acting in unexpected ways. All I want is to have something in my hands that will behave the same no matter which I am on, Intel or PPC. It matters less to me that all of the Gee Whiz Features work as long as if they don't work on one they don't work on the other, and if they work on one they behave the same way on the other. And preferably I'd like that version in my hands soon enough so I can find out what works and what doesn't before the Fall semester begins.

I know that all software has bugs we learn to live with and work around, just give me the same bugs my student's computers will have.

BazC
07-07-2007, 02:35 AM
Hmm, I don't think I've had any problems with presets on Intel or PPC. I certainly agree about the hub, I don't think it's ever been reliable on Mac, Intel or PPC. I'd like to see it removed and have Layout and Modeler talk to each other directly or better still be fully integrated. I'm not sure that will happen though.

I'm pretty sure NT want the UB finished and released as much as the rest of us and are working as fast as they can. I don't think it will guarantee identical behavior on both platforms though, the other apps I use on PPC and Intel have their own little foibles that depend on the processor being used!

MysteryMonkey
07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Hmm, I don't think I've had any problems with presets on Intel or PPC . . .

So is the PPC version of 9.2 running fairly well on an Intel Mac? Does it seem stable with few difference between PCC & Intel machines? Slower doesn't bother me as much as acting differently from one to the other.

. . . I'm pretty sure NT want the UB finished and released as much as the rest of us and are working as fast as they can. I don't think it will guarantee identical behavior on both platforms though, the other apps I use on PPC and Intel have their own little foibles that depend on the processor being used!

So are you saying that the customer expectations should be that a software company isn't going to make the features work properly between PCC & Intel? What about Windows then? Is this to suggest that a PhotoShop user can't expect to be able to use the same features, palettes and tools no matter which they are on? Somehow that doesn't seem right.

Since there doesn't seem to be any definitive time table for the release of the UB other than "SOON" would it be best to just go with the PCC version on my Intel Mac or go to the unproven Beta version. I'm going to install one or the other tomorrow and I don't want to waste my time anymore than necessary.

Thanks for any input.

MysteryMonkey
07-11-2007, 11:39 AM
. . . would it be best to just go with the PCC version on my Intel Mac or go to the unproven Beta version. I'm going to install one or the other tomorrow and I don't want to waste my time anymore than necessary.

Thanks for any input.

After thinking about it overnight I guess the correct answer is to install BOTH! :hey:

Chilton
07-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Hi MysteryMonkey,

There are some differences you'll find between 9.2 and 9.2UB. For example, many 3rd party plug-ins are not yet ported (though some are, and some are in progress). Also, there are things that never quite worked right in LW on the Mac before, like the Hub, which should work quite well in the UB.

I believe you should be able to run both 9.2 and 9.2UB on the same machine with no problems.

-Chilton

Stingslang
07-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I have some problems with getting the UB to accept the key that i've made. I just put it in the folder i created for the programs from the UB beta download. Am I doing the wrong thing?

Where should I put it?

Chilton
07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Go to the Mac Universal Workshop in the forums and ask there. All UB questions are answered there.

-Chilton

Stingslang
07-11-2007, 01:13 PM
thank you

BazC
07-12-2007, 02:03 AM
So is the PPC version of 9.2 running fairly well on an Intel Mac? Does it seem stable with few difference between PCC & Intel machines? Slower doesn't bother me as much as acting differently from one to the other.

So are you saying that the customer expectations should be that a software company isn't going to make the features work properly between PCC & Intel? What about Windows then? Is this to suggest that a PhotoShop user can't expect to be able to use the same features, palettes and tools no matter which they are on? Somehow that doesn't seem right.

Since there doesn't seem to be any definitive time table for the release of the UB other than "SOON" would it be best to just go with the PCC version on my Intel Mac or go to the unproven Beta version. I'm going to install one or the other tomorrow and I don't want to waste my time anymore than necessary.

Thanks for any input.

Sorry I missed your reply.

I haven't used the PPC version extensively on Intel since the UB was released. When it was my main app it was running as well as it was on my G4 and yes it was pretty stable provided I wasn't running the Hub which has always given me problems.

I wasn't suggesting that the different versions of Lightwave should be different by design. Obviously we should expect them to be identical! nevertheless all software inevitably has bugs and those bugs are likely to be different on different platforms. So even if the UB is released your students may see slightly different behaviour on PPC than you're seeing on Intel.

As for what you should run I suggest you try them both and decide what suits you. I would guess that using the same build as your students would give you the most consistent experience even if that means running the ppc version under Rosetta. Obviously I can't be sure of that though!

MysteryMonkey
07-12-2007, 05:44 AM
. . . I would guess that using the same build as your students would give you the most consistent experience . . .

Thanks for the reply BazC.

Well this is exactly why it is so important to me that the Universal Binary be released soon, because (as I understand it) ultimately you do use the UB build to install to both the PowerPC and Intel machines and during the install process the appropriate code data goes to the appropriate machine.

Now that has got me wondering. Are there many people out there in Beta testing land that have a PowerPC with the "UB" build installed on it, and what's the consensus?

BazC
07-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Now that has got me wondering. Are there many people out there in Beta testing land that have a PowerPC with the "UB" build installed on it, and what's the consensus?.

No-one is allowed to discuss the beta on public forums. You'll need to sign up for the beta. Even if you don't actually use the beta software (and I strongly recommend that you do!) you will then be able to discuss this on the beta forums.

One warning, if I remember rightly there is only one beta allowed per user (not per license) so it's unlikey that you would be able to install the beta on all the students machines. That's the way it was anway, of course it may have changed.

Lightwolf
07-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Well this is exactly why it is so important to me that the Universal Binary be released soon, because (as I understand it) ultimately you do use the UB build to install to both the PowerPC and Intel machines and during the install process the appropriate code data goes to the appropriate machine.

Not quote... both the PPC and intel code is contained within the same installed package, there is no separation during the installation (however, only the appropriate code gets launched and run).

Cheers,
Mike

MysteryMonkey
07-12-2007, 07:04 AM
. . . One warning, if I remember rightly there is only one beta allowed per user (not per license) so it's unlikey that you would be able to install the beta on all the students machines. That's the way it was anway, of course it may have changed.

We would never install a Beta of anything on our computer lab machines. That is just not done.

Even so, I'm surprised that if I have 20 licenses I could not install the Beta on 20 machines. Its a mute point, but it doesn't seem logical, or maybe I should say that doesn't seem fair. Oh well, it doesn't really matter, because as I said we would never do that in our lab situation.

Chilton
07-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Hi MysteryMonkey,

The unfortunate reality of most major software projects is that the name 'beta' just means they're getting tired of fixing bugs, and 'Gold Master' means they gave up, would like to ship now, and will happily charge you for the next update, which will be released when they feel like fixing bugs again.

The beta of LightWave on the other hand, is a combination of fixes for known bugs, as well as being a complete rewrite in some cases. We don't charge for these updates, and while the UB is actually a very different beast from the currently shipping 9.x, it too will be a free upgrade. I would highly recommend downloading the UB and trying it yourself.

-Chilton

Lightwolf
07-12-2007, 08:04 AM
The beta of LightWave on the other hand, is a combination of fixes for known bugs, as well as being a complete rewrite in some cases.
Now isn't that what other developers would call an alpha then? :D *ducks_for_cover*

Cheers,
Mike - and don't tell me you didn't see that coming ;)

MysteryMonkey
07-12-2007, 08:20 AM
. . . I would highly recommend downloading the UB and trying it yourself.

-Chilton

Hi Chilton,

Well hopefully the UB version has already been installed on my MacBook Pro. I need to go to school this morning to pick it up. Unfortunately (or maybe not) only specific "Techs" are allowed to install anything on any computer owned by the school. This is done to keep tight control over who has access to protect the software we buy and to prevent unauthorized copying and theft. While I am quite capable of installing a Beta or any software I have to rely upon someone else to actually do it in this case. Its inconvenient most of the time, but in the end if my computer crashes because of improperly installed software I am not to blame :)

Perhaps I wasn't clear earlier when I said we would never install a Beta on our lab computers. What I was intending to convey was, we would never put a Beta version of software in the classroom for students to learn on. It would not be right to subject them to a program that will more than likely contain bugs.

Realistically I know that every release of every piece of software probably has bugs in it, but Betas will probably have more than normal (whatever normal is :hey: )

I'm looking forward to giving 9.2 a test drive later today :D

Cheers!

Chilton
07-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Well, most of the rewrite was in the fall. Right now we're piecing the remaining things together, and making sure it all still works. But the bug fixes are continuing, and right now any additions being made are only being made to either address known bugs, or to finish out some of the features in the app.

But we discuss these things in another (slightly more secret) forum, not far from here...

;-)

-Chilton

TomT
07-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Still not shipped a UB? Sheesh . . .

Kerwin was right.
-T

Chilton
07-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi Tom,

I think he (Kerwin) was right about some things in LW's past, but I believe he'll be very happy with LW's first Universal Binary. More so than he expects.

-Chilton

TomT
07-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Chilton,

It's something of an in-joke. He mocked me when I showed him your press release last January and it said UB would be "available" in March. Being that we're out here in SiliValley, we know the difference between "available" and "beta".

Hopefully you're working with Worley on a UB of SaS. Without a hair/fur/fiber solution we'd have a very tough time considering LW. Worley's given us no info, so we kind of have to base our projects on what works now, not an endless string of broken promises. (Like K, I've been using LW on Macs for nearly 10 years.)

I think you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone here to give up M-d-2-3 for LW Modeler (even when it eventually gets to UB) or worrying too much about LW Layout when we have Ci----4- Studio on every workstation, complete with integrated B-d-Pa--t3. Our new animation director is very partial to M-y-8.5.

If you want impress K or Harold (the other partner) Lightwave UB will have to compete with the real world. I don't think K will ever cut you guys any slack after the way he was treated by Newtek staff when he posted the results of his OGL tests.

I'm not able to fight back the tide with a beta, especially with no commitment to key plugins. Like MysteryMonkey, we would never take on a project using beta code unless we were under some sever duress (such as not having any other choice for the product to give us the effect we want.)

(Sorry the news is better on my front--since we talked last year, the pressure on me to use what we have rather than pine for a Lightwave that isn't there has been enormous.)

Cheers!
-Tom

MysteryMonkey
07-14-2007, 09:12 AM
. . .
But we discuss these things in another (slightly more secret) forum, not far from here...

;-)

-Chilton

Chilton,

I guess it really is a secret forum because neither the Campus Tech Support Specialist I work with, nor I have been allowed access to the UB Forum for the past 3-4 days. I'm giving up the idea of doing any work with the beta because where am I going to ask any questions if they come up? I'll go with the 9.2 PPC version for now. We got it installed OK on the MacBook Pro.

I can understand reasons for keeping the beta testing comments off the main forum boards, but couldn't the process for getting access onto the beta forum be streamlined and automated a bit?

Chilton
07-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Ack! I'll see if I can find out what happened.

-Chilton

MysteryMonkey
07-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Ack! I'll see if I can find out what happened.

-Chilton

Chilton,

Please check your private forum mailbox for some details on the forum username my beta software is registered under. It is something different than MysteryMonkey because of the way my school handles our software registration.

Thanks