PDA

View Full Version : Long render times

mythek1
06-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I've just rendered this old image scene with Lightwave 9.2 64 bit on my new Duo Core 6600 PC with 2Gb RAM, and it took 35 mins with radiosity. The same scene on my old Pentium IV with 512Mb RAM took 7 mins 8 secs. Am I doing something wrong? Please advise.

Thanks.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/475582965_d46c87b8ce_o.jpg

Karmacop
06-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Have you set it to render with two threads? Other than that are you certain that no settings have changed? They are wildly different render times.

mythek1
06-24-2007, 05:09 AM
Have you set it to render with two threads? Other than that are you certain that no settings have changed? They are wildly different render times.

Hi Karmacop, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure the settings are the same. I am running windows vista and I am wondering about the location of the Lightwave programs. I have installed the 64 bit version in the 'Programs' folder. Lightwave 32 bit installed in 'Programs (x86)' as did Lightwave version 8. I ran a render of the same scene in version 8 on the new PC and it took just 2 mins 1 sec! I don't understand why version 8 renders so fast yet version 9.2 is taking 35 minutes.

mythek1
06-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Well I managed to find the original installation files of version 9 and loaded them on to the new PC. The render time for 32 Bit was 1 min 28 secs and for 64 bit around 1 min 14 secs. I guess the radiosity settings must have changed in version 9.2. I don't know if I would benefit from installing 9.2 unless I can get to grips with the new settings.

manholoz
06-24-2007, 09:16 AM
9.2 is many times better. If you need help with radiosity settings, just post a screenshot. The anti-aliasing in 9.2 has also changed considerably, so this could also be a cause of slowdown if you're using some overkill settings.

:agree:

The difference in render times with radiosity are simply staggering. And do ask Neverko, he knows his stuff.

mythek1
06-24-2007, 11:15 AM
9.2 is many times better. If you need help with radiosity settings, just post a screenshot. The anti-aliasing in 9.2 has also changed considerably, so this could also be a cause of slowdown if you're using some overkill settings.
manholoz wrote:

The difference in render times with radiosity are simply staggering. And do ask Neverko, he knows his stuff.
Thanks for be patient with me. I played around with the settings and checked the interpolated box. The render time at the original AA setting of 5 went down to 47 seconds! nearly twice as fast as version 9.:thumbsup:

I've always compromised with radiosity scenes to reduce render times, but at this speed, (as I've heard mentioned), it really offers a new dimension to animation lighting for those of us with less powerful machines.