PDA

View Full Version : UV Mapping

eidetiken
06-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Can you use one UV map for several like objects in LightWave?

Example: Three cans have exactly the same geometry. In Maya I can build one can, UV map it, then duplicate the can two times and assign a different label for each can using the one UV map.

Haven't figured out how to do this in LightWave.

Bytehawk
06-23-2007, 07:03 AM
you'll need to
a) save the object out 3 times and surface it separately

b) clone the object 2 times in layout and use the object id node
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=407545&postcount=13
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=555990&postcount=8

eidetiken
06-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks bute but that doesn't work on my Mac. You have Mac OS X Intel version? Or the source so I can try to port it?

kopperdrake
06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
As Bytehawk said, if you save the initial can out as, say, "Can_A.lwo" with the label surface called "Label", then save two more versions of that can but call them "Can_B.lwo" and "Can_C.lwo". When you bring them all back in to either Layout or Modeler you should see the three individual objects listed in the Surface Editor. Make sure you have "Edit by: Name" as the chosen drop down in the top-left corner of the Surface Editor else you'll only have one instance of the surface 'Label' for all three objects. Just replace the image used as the label from within the Surface Editor. It's the same on Mac and PC - at least it *should* be :)

Hope this helps.

Andyjaggy
06-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Or you could use the copy UV command. Take your objects that is UV'd and select it. Copy and paste it so you have two of the object.

As of right now the two object still share the same UV map. Now with the copied object still selected go to the Edit UV's button and under the drop down list click on "Copy UV" This should automatically deselect your object after you do this. Now select the copied object again and click on "Paste UV" It will most likely deselect the object again. But if you reselect the copied object and in you UV window drag the UV's it should now have it's own set of identicle UV's that you can move around in the UV space to wherever you want.

Not sure if that's what you wanted but it should work :D