PDA

View Full Version : tmpgenc 4 express

smee-again
06-22-2007, 04:56 AM
hiya all

Have been using tmpgenc 2.5 for years due to it's high quality output however just noticed version4 is out that supports multi cores. (just got myself a quad core processor to test vt4 on. anyway i know 3 was no good but was wondering if anybody has tried out 4?

cheers

cam

ScorpioProd
06-22-2007, 11:23 AM
I haven't, but I'd be very curious to hear how 2.5 works on your quad system. 2.5 threads quite well on my dual-Xeon, including hyperthreading, so I sort of have four cores looking at it that way.

I'd be interested to hear what your CPU load looks like on the Quad with 2.5.

Thanks.

smee-again
06-22-2007, 10:43 PM
ok just did a test with same encoding settings between version 2.5 and 4 express. quality seems to be the same, need further testing but speed was way different. 12 min with 2.5 v's 8min with 4. 2.5 used about 50 -60% of Processor and 4 about 60 to 70%

need further testing but 4 seems much faster than 2.5

Jim_C
06-23-2007, 12:31 PM
I use 3 and 4. What is it about 3 that you heard was 'no good'?

All versions use the same encoding engine for quality.

KSTAR
06-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Me to I have been using version 3 for months with no problems the .vtp project loader works fine. I actually prefer version 3 over 2.5

Im looking to upgrade to version 4 asap

Jim_C
06-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi Kevin,

Did you have to do anything to get the VTP loader to work in 3?
The few times I tried it, it borched so I have been using the avi wrapper.

And a little off subject, I have been LOVING the new TMPGEnc DVD Author 4 with Divx.

Not only can you author a full dvd style project with menus, chapter points etc into a SINGLE divx file with great compression and tiny file size,
but since it has the tmpgenc mpeg2 encoder built in, I can edit a project in VT-Edit, save with avi wrapper, and then create a chapter list using bobs plug in.
Import the avi wrapper into DVD author, import bobs chapters, let the auto menu create a nice dvd menu with chapter links ready to go, tweak it a little and then spit out a finished dvd product.

There is actually quite a bit of integration/automation with VT-Edit and authoring apps if you know where to look. (Thanks to Bob)

Don't be afraid of 3 or 4 Cam. They both rock.

Jim

KSTAR
06-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Hey Jim, yes you have to edit your registry files. Here are the files and instructions Kirk Morger sent me

Also remember you have to enable the VFAPI plug-in in Options->VFAPI Plug-in). within Tmpeg

Jim_C
06-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Saaaa-WEET! Thanks Kevin!!

Jim

KSTAR
06-25-2007, 01:00 PM
No prob

From what I understand that same setup should work just fine with Tmpeg 4

Jim_C
06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Yea just tried it with 4 and it accepted the VTP and is encoding now.

Thanks again.

ScorpioProd
06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Let's hope VT[5] and SpeedEDIT 1.2 have this ability natively! :thumbsup:

Jim_C
06-26-2007, 06:03 AM

Yes.
From what I read in the notes. VT4 was suppose to do it automatically, but it was a programming error in the 3rd party installer.

CreatvGnius
06-26-2007, 12:17 PM

Hi, Eugene, Jim, et al --
Has anyone properly registered the pertinent suggestion(s) that TMPGenc 3 and 4 and also TMPGenc DVD Author be able to load .vtp files and also the avi wrapper without a hitch, through the necessary programming NewTek may have to affect in the upcoming VT[5]?

Just wondering if this "hope" is well-grounded, due to the folks at the 'Traz having a heads-up and some focused attention on this need. What say you folks?

Jim_C
06-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi, Eugene, Jim, et al --
Has anyone properly registered the pertinent suggestion(s) that TMPGenc 3 and 4 and also TMPGenc DVD Author be able to load .vtp files and also the avi wrapper without a hitch,

Ummm.. have you even read any of this thread....?

CreatvGnius
06-27-2007, 09:28 AM

What statement caused you to jump to the errant conclusion that I hadn't, Jim (Ya' don't *really* wanna' be "judgmental", now, do ya')? :D

KSTAR
06-27-2007, 09:36 AM
I think he is refering to my post #7. When I read your post I thought the same thing.

Plus Jim and I are never wrong especially in the same thread ;)

wvp
06-28-2007, 06:45 AM
In his defense Jim, it sounds to me like all that was asked is if anyone had requested to Newtek to fix the 3rd party support for TMPGEnc ver 3, 4 & author.
Ok, so there are some things you can do currently to fix it, but when VT5 comes...perhaps NT can do it for us.
At least thats how I was reading it.

CreatvGnius
06-28-2007, 09:03 AM
In his defense Jim, it sounds to me like all that was asked is if anyone had requested to NewTek to fix the 3rd party support for TMPGEnc ver 3, 4 & author.

Ok, so there are some things you can do currently to fix it [on your own VT system, but when VT[5] ships...perhaps NewTek might be so inclined to take care of this for us, if, a Feature Request for this is properly filed, while there is still time --edited, p.g.b.].

At least thats how I was reading it.

You have interpreted this writer with adroit precision, WVP -- and do let me state that it's refreshingly assuring to know that my post was clearly understood by some, despite the negative response from perhaps the first individual -- one who might be prone to speaking negative of others before thoughtful analysis of what he read.

You all know that it's not unusual that a really good suggestion or "hopeful"* desire (as the one articulated by Eugene, here) gets bandied about deep within a thread, while never having been posted "officially" as a feature request at [email protected] (I hope that's the correct URL).

But not to worry: by the time you read this, I will have already posted such a request in the Feature Requests area of the VT Discussions forum, just to thwart off the possibility of negligence in that regard.

After all, that's how valuable I believe this issue of a mature paradigm for TMPGenc support is -- in order for VT[5] to be considered "extremely well thought-out" especially relative to the DVD authoring workflow issue. :thumbsup:

CreatvGnius
06-28-2007, 12:03 PM
You all know that it's not unusual that a really good suggestion or "hopeful"* desire (as the one articulated by Eugene, here) gets bandied about deep within a thread, while never having been posted "officially" as a feature request at [email protected]

But not to worry: I've corrected the email address for registering feature requests (it's properly mentioned in the "quote" above) and sent the following to that destination:

" It's disconcerting, that we've had to go through some gymnastics, to have project markers "interpreted as chapter points" properly -- and also, to have .vtp files and "avi wrapper" files properly imported into the TMPGenc environs and with ease.

Some of us have resorted to the use of Sony Vegas to take care of some of these DVD authoring preliminaries, all the while, having a preference to do so rather, with the higher quality afforded by Tsunami's products mentioned above.

May we please have these issues remedied by the time VT[5] is released?
Thanks, so much, NewTek, for 'listening'! " :D