PDA

View Full Version : UV unwrap and keep relative polygon size

Thomas M.
06-21-2007, 04:49 PM
I do have a lot of objects right now which consist more or less of a bottom and top polygon and a profile between them. Kind of a cylinder with a complex shape at its sides. The shape stays the same for each object.

Is there an easy way to unwrap the sides of the object for an UV map and keep the distance of the points which form the shape of the profile? It would be kind of a UV spider which would need to do it's work in one go and keep the relative size of all the polygons forming the shape. For a round base a cylindrical unwrap would keep the distance in the heading rotation of the object (the horizontal distance), while it wouldn't take care whether the polygons overlap vertically (like a vase with a complex shape).

If I it's not clear what I have in mind, I'm going to make a sketch.

Cheers
Thomas

Andyjaggy
06-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Do cylinder wrap on the Y axis and then go in and manually stretch out the points :D Not what you wanted to hear I know. I am sure there is a way. Try the PLG unwrap stuff, never used it but I hear it's great.

Giacomo99
06-21-2007, 05:11 PM
It sounds like you might be able to do it without using UV mapping at all--just use a regular cylindrical map on the cylindrical part, and separate surfaces with planar maps for the top and bottom.

Or else I'm missing the point completely.

DonS
06-24-2007, 07:10 AM
I use the GreatBox Lscript for this:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/uvmapping/uv_mapping/clean_uv/clean_uvs.zip

Thomas M.
06-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the help so far. I finally found the perfect solution. DStorm's UVRoad. It does exactly what I've been looking for. Excellent!!! 3 minutes and it was done!

Cheers
Thomas

DonS
06-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Ah, now I see what you wanted to do.

Man, that plugin's crazy! D-Storm sure makes some great stuff. Thanks for letting us know about it.