PDA

View Full Version : Request: Pls. Rename Control Tree "Italic" node: "Shear"

CreatvGnius
06-21-2007, 11:50 AM
That nomenclature needs to be changed, if for no other reason than that it would at first seem to users, that this Control Tree node's "Italics" operation only applies to text.

It really floored me, recently, to unwittingly discover that "Italic" actually works on other visual elements -- and not just "text" characters as in CG.

Steve Bowie is to be credited for having first recommending the name change from "Italic" to "Shear" (TTBOMK), and for suggesting to me that I could in fact, use this function for bending a shadow.
:newtek:

Ivan
06-21-2007, 02:10 PM
You realize that doing this would break any presets that you have created with this control. Additionally the project that you created using this control would likely experience some problems.

Just a thought.

Ivan

SBowie
06-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Maybe ... the label and the actual spline control reference in the .loc file may actually be unrelated, not sure. (That would seem to be necessary for correct support of international languages. Otherwise sharing presets between users running in different languages would be impossible - which may indeed be the case, don't really know. Pity, if so.)

Even then, I wonder how many of us have presets with modified "Italics" for the image and shadow? Reflecting on this just a bit more, I remember that this actually was changed based on my suggestion back in beta, but it seems only in the 3D Rotation section ... not in Shadow.

CreatvGnius
06-22-2007, 06:45 AM
You realize that doing this would break any presets that you have created with this control. Additionally the project that you created using this control would likely experience some problems.

Just a thought.

Ivan

What's up, Ivan -
Is it possible you misunderstood the force of my "Feature Request"? It appears to me that perhaps, you perceived that I was suggesting that we end-users simply go in all willy-nilly, and change the name of the "Italics" node ourselves.

I hope that that's not what my writing style communicated. Instead, I'm requesting that the "with-it" NewTek programmers (who, by the way -- really know what they're doing) would change the nomenclature for us.

That said, it is seriously doubtful that their doing so would "break" anything at all. Peace.