PDA

View Full Version : Bones working, object not present

karlm2007
06-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Using Lightwave 9 I created some bones in Layout for a black wire that is meant to twist. As soon as I set the bones to "On" the tube object disappears in Layout, its still there in the menu and when moving objects its outline box appears but still it can't be seen, rendering it doesn't turn up either. I've set it up with inverse kinematics and the bones are doing what they are supposed to, following a null goal object, but the object isn't present.

Obviously each time I turn bones off and try again I lose most bone settings and have to redo things. What can I do to make the object visible in Layout and renders while being morphed by the bones

SplineGod
06-21-2007, 09:11 AM
You need to select all the bones and hit the r key to rest them. Just activating them will not work.

JamesCurtis
06-21-2007, 09:45 PM
I've sometimes found that you need to "rest" the bones in order of creation starting with your first created bone and proceeding to the next, and so on. If you don't, you risk having the object distort strangely.

SplineGod
06-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Resting does alot more then simply activating bones. It does a form of internal weighting that decides how much influence bones have on each vertex.

karlm2007
06-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I have 8 of these tubes I need to animate, in the same way. I started with a new one, created the bones and rested them using 'r' however the object disappeared again. The object I was working on yesterday is now visible and the bones work, however they don't affect the object.

SplineGod
06-22-2007, 09:08 AM
The simplest thing is to make sure that the object and bones are in the same layer. Take the tube and draw a single bone inside it in layout. Use the bone split tool to break it up into as many bones as you need. Select all the bones and hit the r key. You can clone the tube at this point and it will clone all the bones as well. When you rest the bones make sure that no IK, expressions, motion modifiers etc are active.

How are you creating the bones?

UnCommonGrafx
06-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Sounds like maybe they aren't in the same layer as the object. Or, you haven't told the other layer to use bones from the layer that has them.

karlm2007
06-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Found the problem, it was the rest length which didn't set by pressing 'r', I had to set it manually to 4mm. (before it was 1m, object wasn't invisible just enormous!)

Bones are in place and working properly but don't affect the object enough. The tube only moves half as much as the bones do. I assume this has something to do with the strength or weight of the bones, what should I change so the bones move exactly with the object?

I think I'll upload the files to the forum on the 1st of July, my DSL speed has been cut so it would take to long now.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

karlm2007
06-27-2007, 07:58 PM
And now I found out that after setting the Goal object you have to re-rest the bones so they effect the object properly. Everything is working now, hurray! This has been a steep learning curve but I think I am confident with using bones now.

UnCommonGrafx
06-27-2007, 09:04 PM
hehe,
Nah... do it 20 more times and then... yes yes yes yes...

SplineGod
06-27-2007, 09:55 PM
And now I found out that after setting the Goal object you have to re-rest the bones so they effect the object properly. Everything is working now, hurray! This has been a steep learning curve but I think I am confident with using bones now.

Thats only true IF the bones with IK turned on correspond to the object geometry. You should actually have the bones without IK, plugins, modifiers etc exactly inside your geometry. From there rest the bones and then turn on the things I just mentioned. :)