PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Fried - Suggestions Please

dfee
06-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Hello all. My once faithful Ti-4400 has gone and I need a replacement for it. GeForce FX was once the card recommended but the Newtek requirements for VT4 say ATi is acceptable. The motherboard is the Supermicro X5DA8 and I'm using the 8x AGP slot for it. Trying to prepare for VT5, it seems the card should support Open GL, at least DirectX 9, and HDMI out for possible HD previewing. Now that I mention it, I guess HD previewing takes away the dual monitor option.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for VT Edit use, not LW. I think I should stay with the Nvidia chipset. How about the 6600GT or 6800GT? I might be able to free up a 100MHz PCI-X slot but, would that slow down the SCSI it's shared with?

Thanks.
DF

Jim_C
06-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Any of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=1067920131+1069609639&name=AGP+4X%2f8X

I don't think you will find an AGP card with HDMI.

And PCI-X doesn't support video cards. (Or vice versa)

dfee
06-21-2007, 01:33 AM
Thanks Jim.
Darned acronyms. DV-I out for preview.

Red_Oddity
06-21-2007, 02:52 AM
XFX still sells GeForce 7950 AGP cards : www.xfxforce.com

wvp
06-21-2007, 07:24 AM
I should have an old, but still very useable (being used right now) Nvidia card first week of July - its in an X5DA8.

dfee
06-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Are such "high end" cards required. Other posts suggest FX 5500 are sufficient? I suppose it's a bit of future proofing though.

DF

Jim_C
06-21-2007, 11:14 AM
How old are those other posts?

You started by suggestion upper end 6 series and now you have de-evolved to a base 5. :)

Honestly with 'higher end' cards being rather affordable I wouldn't put 4 year old technology in a machine today.

And you mention HD previewing. A 5 series certainly won't cut the mustard in that regard.

You are on the right track with your 2 earlier suggestions especially since you added the GT.

The GT version of the nvidia line is the higest end (excluding Ultra). Sometimes a GT version of one line, will have better specs than the lower models of the next line up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_NVIDIA_Graphics_Processing_Units

If you are planning ANY HD work in the future, don't go too cheap now.

Jim

dfee
06-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Oh they were old alright. But that's not where I want to go. Technology is cheap and I'm off to look at 7 series GT models. Thanks all.

dfee
06-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I bought a 7600GT and while it seemed very rocky at the start, no video out and crashing on rendering - trying different version drivers from current to 66.63 and versions in between and back to the current 94.24 - it doesn't seem to crash anymore.

However, render times are almost slower than real time. No effects or CG. I'm used to rendering to a separate drive from the striped set at almost 2x. Also Windows Media Player cannot play a Type2 DV without stuttering.

Could this be caused by the new card and driver, or is this a symptom of a drive going? I have defragged.

Dual 2.4Ghz Xeon
X5DA8
1 Gig RAM
3x73GB U320
1 120GB IDE
1 500GB Sata2
eVGA 76006GT

Jim_C
06-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Make sure you completely uninstall previous driver versions by removing the display adaptor in device manager. Then rebooting, choose no to any windows attempts at driver installation, then install new driver.

But having said that as more of a generic top, rendering from VT isn't tied into your graphics card at all afaik.

Try playing the DV file from your c drive. External drive and your stripe. See what happens.

When you say no video out. Of what? The VT card? Your computer monitor plugged into your 7600GT?

Jim

ScorpioProd
06-22-2007, 05:17 PM
I would caution that you can't assume the newest AGP cards will work in older machines that don't specifically support AGP 8X.

dfee
06-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Upon the first boot, there was no video out of the VT card. The VT Vsion worked fine. A second boot cleared it up. I removed the driver using the add/remove programs and verified it in Device Manager.

Interesting! Videos play fine off the stripe and external but not off of C:
What does that mean, Jim?

----------

Eugene,
That's what I'm summising - a mismatch of old meets new technology. With the Intel chips supposedly dropping in prices next month. methinks it's time for a new mobo and Q6600 quad kentsfield.

Jim_C
06-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Interesting! Videos play fine off the stripe and external but not off of C:
What does that mean, Jim?

The drive could be fragmented. It could be working hard doing Windows and other program things. It could be going bad. It could be an older 5400rpm drive that doesn't have that fast of throughput to begin with.

The only one above you would have to worry about is if it is going bad. (Or fragmented)
You can run chkdisk, or any other free little app to see how it is.(And run defrag)

But all in all really, it's never really too advisable to play footage off of your C drive. Sure it works, especially with newer SATA drives, but unless you absolutely have to, try not to, especially since you have a raid.

Your motherboard supports 4x and 8x AGP so you are fine there.
And I may very well be wrong but I thought most 8x cards just step back to a 4x speed if placed in a 4x slot. I have a 8x card in a 4x slot and it's OK.
Of course I did say most, so like Eugene said it's one of those gambles I guess. But you should be fine with your motherboard supporting both.