PDA

View Full Version : Creating a virtual set

Animapper
06-20-2007, 08:05 PM
A while back I saw a tutorial that Dan Ablan (I think) did on creating a virtual set for placing real life size things. I can not remember the name he used for it or in what video or book or tutorial i saw it in. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Regards,

Animapper
06-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Ok. I remembered the name, a cyclorama! Ok, now, has anyone seen this tutorial? I'm trying to compare a few I've built with the one I saw...

Thanks,

sean hargreaves
06-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Dan showed a lighting setup he did on his Version 9 Signature Courseware. You should check out his website 3dgarage.com.

Sensei
06-21-2007, 03:53 AM
Maybe VirtualMirror for symmetrical copy modeled object in real-time in X axis? (instead of using breakable LW symmetry)

Animapper
06-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I have that series but i'm not sure which video the cyclorama is in. The lighting module shows one of his sets but I think there is a whole tutorial on just building a cyclorama. Anybody??

byte_fx
06-21-2007, 02:23 PM
If you have any of Ablan's recent LW books you'll find cyclorama objects in the content directories.

Tecnically a cyclorama is essentially a spherical shape that allows the viewing of an image in 360 degrees.

But for 3D and photographic purposes a cyclorama usually consists of a floor and 'back' wall with a radiused transition between the two.

If that's what you need it's easy enough to make.

Make a box 10 times or more larger than the largest object in your scene and large enough to easily contain your lighting rig.

Use numeric to set size and apply a radius to the edges - the larger the radius and the more steps used the smoother the transition will be. Note that the radius is applied within the shape of the box so you may want to increase the ovrerall size to allow for adequate flat areas.

Invert the polys, rest on ground and save it.

In Layout set it's object properties to NOT cast shadows - this will allow LW lights within the cyclorama to illuminate the scene plus allow GI renders without showing the image used for illumination.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

byte_fx