PDA

View Full Version : Which Antivirus program can be updated offline?

Thomas M.
06-20-2007, 05:23 PM
My Norton used to work fine with the downloadable Virus definitions.

As I need more licenses I wonder whether it's still possible to update this stuff still offline. As Norton slowed down my PC quite a bit, I wonder whether it makes more sense to go for another program. Kaspersky or McAfee seem to be the only other solutions available here.

As my network doesn't get connected to the net at no time ever, I wonder which program can still update itself offline. Any ideas? Or is Norton 2007 better than the stuff before?

I'm posting here since the comments on the web can't be trust in larger areas. Seems like a media war is going on in which no real users participate any longer, only marketing agencies either promoting or telling pretty bad things about the products. A bit like Amazon where the worst movies still get 4-4.5 stars.

Cheers
THomas

Jim_C
06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
The free AVG anti virus can be updated from a file on your hard drive.
As a matter of fact their free version is the ONLY one that can updated manually. Their pay for copy requires a net connection.

Updates are available right below the main exe install on their web page.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free

Just my opinion but stay away from McAfee and Norton.

BeeVee
06-21-2007, 06:18 AM
Avast (http://www.avast.com/) is a great anti-virus that takes very little memory or CPU time and is updated very regularly. You can download the updates and apply them to an offline machine with no trouble.

B

iconoclasty
06-21-2007, 01:31 PM
I love AVG but they don't have a free 64bit version. Does anyone know if Avast offers a free 64bit solution?

Thomas M.
06-21-2007, 04:18 PM
So, Kaspersky, McAfee and Norton aren't suitable for my purposes or are just crappy programs?

Gaze
06-21-2007, 06:41 PM
I've tried all the above except Avast and eventually settled on my favorite: BullGuard

This thing has done me good and kept things running smoothly. Low overhead. Autoupdate or manual from whatever location you wish (local drive or online). Comprehensive. Total control or just use the defaults.

g/l

jaf
06-21-2007, 06:59 PM
I love AVG but they don't have a free 64bit version. Does anyone know if Avast offers a free 64bit solution?

You mean 64 bit native or 64 bit compatible? I'm using a free version on my winXP x64 system. I think I found the information at PlanetAMD64 when I was looking for a virus program.

Jim_C
06-21-2007, 08:26 PM
So, Kaspersky, McAfee and Norton aren't suitable for my purposes or are just crappy programs?

Can't comment on Kapersky, but McAfee and Norton have become Bloatware.
And since they are the 2 most common, they are also the 2 most targeted for exploits.

Exception
06-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Trend Micro can be upadted offline.

I find it the least problematic, configurable, hassle free, fastest and most secure solution. I have tried AVG and NOD32 as well. TM is a lot cheaper and plays nicer with all the programs. Almost no resource usage.

manholoz
06-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Avast has an x64 compatible virus scanner. A free version for home use too.

Lamont
06-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Nod32 Over all.. and a 64bit version.