PDA

View Full Version : So who's going to SIGGRAPH?

Animapper
06-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I have my flight and hotel booked for SIGGRAPH. I arrive Monday Aug 6th and leave out Friday the tenth. So who's going? I'd love to hook up with any listers.

Regards,

hrgiger
06-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Once again, money and time are issues this year. And once again, I'm planning on it next year.

Titus
06-20-2007, 08:23 PM
:dance: I'm going.

LW_Will
06-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Hey, I live in lovely San Diego and I'm going to SIGGRAPH (of course).

I was thinking, what about a dinner at a local resturaunt? You know, real food, no pressure from vendors, talking and meeting poeple and such.

We have several places to go for lunch... everything from In'n'Out, to Karl Strauss, to Sushi to... Stu Seagal's Movie Diner (no kidding)...

We can keep it lower price if we need to...

Just a thought..

LW_Will

Animapper
06-21-2007, 07:12 AM
This sounds great. It's always nice to have local help to pave the way. Perhaps we can keep this thread active to capture all the folks who want to participate.

Regards,

Captain Obvious
06-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I'll be there.

redlum
06-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Dinner sounds great. There are some nice places to eat in San Diego. How do we find each other when we get there?

Animapper
07-05-2007, 02:25 PM
ONE month to go... SIGGRAPH Baby!!

redlum
07-05-2007, 02:28 PM
so. . . where's the party?

Matt
07-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Silly me thought it had been and gone!

pixelranger
07-15-2007, 02:49 PM
I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing alot of you there.

kevman3d
07-16-2007, 02:04 AM
I'll be there with the wife...

LW_Will
07-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Hmmm... the party.

Well, what do we want to eat? Will anyone / everyone have transport? How many of us will there be?

And, most importantly, when it the Newtek Party so we won't conflict? ;-)

ShawnStovall
07-16-2007, 05:11 PM
One day it will come to Detroit... and one day I will go... but not this day...

Animapper
07-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Looking forward to meeting you Kevin - great new book, by the way.

Regards,

Animapper
07-16-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm staying at the seaworld/zoo comfort Inn - a shuttle drive away! Should we all exchange cell numbers and contact info? Looking forward to meeting this motley crew!

Contact info: D.J. - 715-212-8040

kevman3d
07-17-2007, 04:09 AM
lol! Actually, the Comfort Inn was the first hotel I looked at when I was looking for one... Yup, just got my copy of the book - It's great to see all that work that Steve and I put into it finally on paper!

Looking forward to saying 'Gidday' to everybody! I'm sure will be a blast. :)

cresshead
07-17-2007, 05:56 AM
are newtek going to have a virtual booth broadcast this year over on the internet?

codyburke610
07-17-2007, 09:12 AM
I wish I could go, but at 15 I guess i'm to young. But I heard that Pixar and Dreamworks are going to be there. Or are they there every year? I can't wait until I go to the Dave School (hopefully) and they schedual a trip to Siggraph:D
-cody-

Steamthrower
07-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Not this year but I plan to next year. Don't get to LA/San Diego much.

Titus
07-17-2007, 10:24 AM
But I heard that Pixar and Dreamworks are going to be there. Or are they there every year?

Yep, the same every year.

codyburke610
07-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks Titus. Wow! Thats awesome, it's my dream to one day work for Pixar or Dreamworks Animation Studios, if it's going to happen it'll happen at Siggraph. I'm definatly going there sometime when i'm a little older.
-cody-

Matt
07-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Can someone strap a first person camera to their head and stream it live for us UK folks please?

:D

cresshead
07-17-2007, 04:04 PM
and point it in the general direction of the newtek stand...not the person wearing the camera...as nice as they may be...i'd like to see lightwave's future developments at the stand not pimples and age lines 'close up':D

:lwicon: :thumbsup:

Titus
07-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Can someone strap a first person camera to their head and stream it live for us UK folks please?

I remember when there was a "SIGGRAPH TV" and this little camera on a robotic baloon, streaming live.

kevman3d
07-18-2007, 03:41 AM
I'm hoping to take piccies, but I read on the general info page for the event that 'No cameras or recording devices are allowed' - Whether that's for the whole event, or only pertains to the conference I don't know...

Hopefully its aimed at people going to the conference only - I like taking the odd snap to show people back in NZ afterwards from the Exhibition floor! :)

And man, what an exhibition floor! I checked out the floor plan - Its loaded with people and companies! I think this looks larger then the one in LA back in 2004...

lardbros
07-18-2007, 04:49 AM
I'll be there too this year... first time, and wetting my pants with excitement! Hope my boss doesn't drag me away from the Newtek stand though, we use MAX here at work! May see some of you guys over there! Also going to the VisMasters conference afterwards which should be great!

LW_Will
07-19-2007, 08:16 AM
So... dinner on Thursday nite?

Stooch
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
ill be there on wednesday only. then i have to run back to LA. "its crunch time".

Matt
07-19-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm hoping to take piccies, but I read on the general info page for the event that 'No cameras or recording devices are allowed' - Whether that's for the whole event, or only pertains to the conference I don't know...

I would so ignore that if I were there!

AbnRanger
07-23-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm planning on going. Is Newtek throwing a party there this year? I'm looking at attending the Autodesk User Group party, if I can...and would like to do the same if Newtek has their own.

fyffe
08-05-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm going! Happy Digital represents!

Oddly enough, I'll be hanging out at the Chaos Group (makes of VRay) booth a lot. And... possibly some Autodesk user thingies. I'll swing by the Newtek booth at some point for sure!

philthorn
08-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Semed like everyone here has a video camera or digital camera... dunno where they keep them out... maybe just the animation theatre etc.

Just finished checking in... I'm geekin! :-)

http://www.fulltiltinteractive.com/images/sig2007.jpg

triiko
08-06-2007, 02:09 AM
...Anyone hear about the Newtek Party yet????

Bog
08-06-2007, 05:44 AM
*sniffles* Have a great time, everyone. Actually, don't! Have a rotten, miserable time! If I can't be there, none of you are allowed to enjoy yourself! I hope all your freebies suck! Bah! Humbug! Etcetera!!!

;)

ChrisW
08-06-2007, 06:45 AM
OK - I'm here! Staying at the Comfort Inn Old Town - a few blocks away from SD Old Town - lots of restaurants - some quite crowded!
I'll be leaving Thursday, will be going to Electronic theater Tuesday evening(I'm going to miss Syd Mead's talk at the AD user group meeting - dang!) and doing the reception Wednesday.
Attended some of the SIGGRAPH primer Sunday, then floated over to Pixar'
s presentation "anyone can cook". Did the animation theaters and the emerging technology room. Great, great entries.
Anxious to get to the Newtek booth, but disappointed that Newtek doesn't have more of a presence here. There are 3 boards set up in the Atrium about 2m tall with lists of user group meetings for many software programs - but not LW...
Alright, time to grab a waffle and head downtown!

byte_fx
08-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Please keep us posted.

Was hoping NewTek would out in force with at least the release of a UB version of LW.

And maybe a demo of some future features.

byte_fx

redlum
08-07-2007, 07:08 PM
no party this year. :cry:

Wickster
08-07-2007, 09:45 PM
I was just at SIGGRAPH...though I got scared off the "No Camera and Video Recording Device Allowed" statement so I didn't bring any camera :(

Nope, no party this year, I think the budget for the party was given to licensing cause NewTek was showing some pretty good stuff on their reels (300, Pan's Labirynth, The Guardian, PGR4, Call of Duty, Dog Fights, etc.) plus I think there are more industry guests from O Entertainment to Radical 3D to Rhytm and Hues. Not bad...though they should give Proton a bullhorn cause his mic never seems to work right no matter which one he uses. :D

scratch33
08-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Any news from siggraph? Annoucement? How are the different newteks presentation? How is the Newtek stand? Please tell us. Is there a lot of people to newtek location? please tell us, tell us...:D

Bog
08-08-2007, 03:57 AM
If I recall correctly, wasn't there a bit of a kerfuffle last year with people disparaging NewTek for spending money on (bloody excellent) parties? I guess you reap what you sow...

Wickster
08-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Any news from siggraph? Annoucement? How are the different newteks presentation? How is the Newtek stand? Please tell us. Is there a lot of people to newtek location? please tell us, tell us...:D
I only had a exhibit pass only so I'll report on that.
I think this time around there were a lot more studio participation (PIXAR, ILM/LucasFilm, Disney Animation Studios, Disney Interactive Studios, Blue Sky, Omation Entertainement, EA, Actvision, etc. plus a couple of up and coming ones). So it was a good show for those looking for a job in the industry. As far as announcement goes most of them are already posted on CGTalk Maya 2008, Max 2008, etc.

Autodesk booth was huge, as usual with drapery hanging on it, right next to it was the almost as huge XSI booth, talk about direct in your face competition. It was the first day so I was usually just walking the show floor not looking for anything in particular so I can't really describe in detail the other booths. Lots of motion capture products, lots of 3D printers and ofcourse lots of schools representing.

Anyway, the NewTek booth. I thought it was presented well this time around. Usually the NT booth is cut diagonally and you end up with two traingles, The front is the main stage and the back triangle is the workstations. This time around the booth was cut horizontally with the stage taking most of the space. And there is always almost somebody presenting. The routine is presenter > LW Reel > presenter > LW Reel > and so on. By the way, is there any cahnce I could get my hands on those LW Reels? They're freakin awesome, NT needs to show more stuff like that. The crowds attendance varies but I thought it was never empty, except maybe on repetitions of the Reels. Presenters draws a healthy amount of crowds, especially Mr. Ron T. It's worth staying at NT's booth, I think, well I kept coming back, because I learned a lot of techniques specially from Todd Grimes and Taron.

No announcement as of yesterday, unless you count the release of LW 9.3 on August 11. I understand LW is on a developmental stage so I wasn't expecting much of a news. I wanted to hear something huge but I knew it might not happen. But thats just the 1st day so who knows what they had instore until Thursday. I didn't see Mr. Roth there so they could all be busy coding or something.

That's my report for now.

Wickster
08-08-2007, 12:08 PM
There is this phrase I keep hearing Rex (the MC) asks the presenters though.

"So what do you think of NewTek as a small private company instead of a large corporation?"

I didn't think too much of it, I just thought it was interesting. :)

Plus I thought it was was very respectful for the dev team to be working during SIGGRAPH (since I didn't see Mr. Roth there) trying to make LW better. :thumbsup:

scratch33
08-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Thank you very much for your report Wickster. cool to have take the time to make it.

:thumbsup: :bowdown:

Bog
08-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Aye, cheers Wickster! It's almost like being there, but soberer, with more money and better food ;)

Matt
08-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the report Wickster! Be good to hear others reports too!

Matt
08-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Just read that 'The Ark' directed by Grzegorz Jonkajtys, won 'Best of Show' for SIGGRAPH. LightWave was used for the main character design (other characters used other apps too). Rendering was done in LightWave using FPrime.

Way to go Grzegorz!

Stooch
08-08-2007, 02:31 PM
too bad i missed it. was going to go today but too much stuff to do. of course i go there for the partays hehe.

Jörg
08-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Wish you all a great time there, don't forget to post pictures!
It would be cool to be there and meet you all in person!

JJ

Wickster
08-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Wish you all a great time there, don't forget to post pictures!
It would be cool to be there and meet you all in person!

JJ
For next year's SIGGRAPH, I suggest that if any of us here is going, we should wear some sort of name tag with our Forum name written on it. Say something like

Hi My Name is:
WICKSTER

Cause I'm pretty sure some of the attendees there with me at the NewTek booth, are around here somewhere.

Bog
08-08-2007, 05:11 PM
*thumbs a round into his Graphical Grenade Launcher*

Oh you'll know we're there next year, Wicksy.

Gonna make some noise. hyah!

But it'll stay "BOG" on the back o'my shirt, that's a great idea. My team number will be "0xB06" ;)

beverins
08-08-2007, 05:21 PM
So how are the presenters?

Are they decent demos... able to display the WOW!? .... or are they more of the "look! sticky plugin!" and "are you scared of 3D" with 3d arsenal from last year's disaster? Demo Discs? Pamphlets? Last year they had neither.

Thanks for the review though :-) Very much appreciated.

Dark Crimson
08-09-2007, 09:37 AM
I was too busy to see the demos but NewTek's booth was okay.

I've see it when they were REALLY good a few years ago, but they had no product to sell there (bummer) and told me to order from the site.

Not exactly what I thought it would be like.

No freebies, no demo reels, no nothing, just a referral to the website. Big downer for me as I really wanted to upgrade and am wondering if I should at this point.

Oh and I didn't hear about a party so I doubt there was one.

dc

beverins
08-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Wait, what? Am I reading that right? No demo discs at Sig '07?

bwindle
08-09-2007, 01:46 PM
A personal thanks to all the newtekies who were so gracious with their time and my monkey level questions. It was truly appreciated.

My only criticism was on the speed edit presentation. Aggressive marketing is one thing, but the presenter came across as antagonistic and a bit confrontational.

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. Thank you again.

Ben

kevman3d
08-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Well, just been there 3 days straight. One thing that I found tricky was getting net access - In NZ we have an internet cafe every 200-300 meters! In San Diego, my wife finally found one... Got 12 minutes left, so lets see what I can say in that timeframe... :D

I've got almost 6-7 CD's of photo's to run through when I get back to NZ, so I'll post up some of the ones from Siggraph when I get home (Not all of them are SG since we've been out and about).

Overall, compared to 2004, I was less impressed then what I saw in LA. The first day was very slow, and NewTek didn't seem to have a list of presenters... My wife asked and they hadn't put together anything, so we couldn't plan our time as to when to be there.

Presentations were ok (Blochi had his HDR tools, Taron was fun to watch, and Greg Sullivan was interesting as well). We traveled around the exhibition floor a couple of times. Most impressive was perhaps the $5000 Mocap system! 6 cameras, and all the tools you need to get things rolling... Something to give the big boys a run for their money! :thumbsup:

Lucasarts had perhaps the more interesting presentations. One talking about their Singapore branch, another about the VFX of Transformers.

Didn't manage to really catch up with anybody there apart from a few people I knew. Maybe next time those T-shirts wouldn't be such a bad idea, eh! :thumbsup:

Anyway, times up... Will post more next time I'm near to an Internet cafe...

Kev.