PDA

View Full Version : LWCAD 2.5! Go get it!

sonofmickel
06-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Just released LWCAD 2.5. Have not had time to play with it yet. YIPPEE SKIPPY:)

colkai
06-20-2007, 11:36 AM
It is, as they say hereabouts, the canines genitals :p :D

lardbros
06-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Quite simply brilliant!!!! One of the best updates so far, the guy is a LW plugin genius!!!!

hrgiger
06-20-2007, 12:16 PM
A great update to an already great application.

BTW, one of my tutorials is on the tutorials page in PDF format. Somebody emailed me and told me a link doesn't work on the file. It may be a problem with just how PDF's link. I'll take a look at it and update if possible.

lion111
06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
@hrgiger
like that door

06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
It's too good to be true for the 2.1 user (Free upgrade ) LWCAD is no doubt my favorite LW plugin so far :D

I like the new stair and roof tool but is there any easy way to create spiral stair ?

Animapper
06-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Next to fPrime it is mine as well. As long as hrgiger and others keep throwing tutorials up!! Yee haw!!

Regards,

Verlon
06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
two thumbs up here :)

hrgiger
06-20-2007, 01:05 PM
I like the new stair and roof tool but is there any easy way to create spiral stair ?

You could just do a quarter turn of the stairs and then clone, rotate and move snap each additional quarter turn in place.

Philbert
06-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I love LWCAD and think I must have been one of the first to download the upgrade last night, although I haven't been able to install it yet. So I'll ask here, did they bring back the Curve Knife that was in 1.5? That was my only real complaint when I upgraded to 2.1. Sure you can use the rectangle tool but it's a bit awkward, especially if you're working in a tight area or a small area on a large model.

06-20-2007, 01:50 PM
You could just do a quarter turn of the stairs and then clone, rotate and move snap each additional quarter turn in place.

Ah,hrgiger ,thank you for the tip and I will give it a try ! :bowdown:

hrgiger
06-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Ah,hrgiger ,thank you for the tip and I will give it a try ! :bowdown:

Well, that's just a guess. I haven't tried it in practice but in theory it shoudl work. Maybe we should ask Viktor for a clone tool that works in a radius instead of in a linear fashion...

geothefaust
06-20-2007, 11:00 PM
I can't believe the upgrade is free. It's quite extensive. :thumbsup:

HR, thanks for the great tutorial as well. I checked it out when you first posted it, but it's good to see it on there with the upgrade.

jin choung
06-21-2007, 02:35 AM
woo hoo... i just bought it a day or two ago and bam, i'm hit with a 2.5 upgrade! yee haw.

great great stuff.

gosh, i cannot wait until we see some NURBS SURFACES! can you imagine? trimming, blending, hires shapes that you can slice and dice on without having to freeze first?! in lw?!

i hope it's implemented like his nurbs curves too... specialized lwcad tools work on them only - goes without saying that other lw tools don't. i don't even care if they are not surfaceable or renderable. if lw stays a poly app for most purposes but just having non destructive editing of nurbs surfaces simply as building tools... as long as they mesh nicely into elegant poly quad structure.

and of course, just like it is possible to do right now with viktor's nurbs curves, the ability to export a full nurbs model by way of dxf export into apps like rhino or maya... that would be breathtaking... the ability to make nurbs models in lw!

p.s. yah, i tried it, i exported .dxf nurbs curves from lwcad to maya and inside of maya, they are indeed NURBS! neat!

jin

p.s.2. yah, thanks for the cool tuts hr! really useful.

mav3rick
06-21-2007, 03:04 AM
lw cad is da must........ must include in 10.x

oDDity
06-21-2007, 04:11 AM
Don't get carried away. It's not a 'must have' for all lightwave users unless you do extensive arch viz modeling.
All it does is make what is already the easiest kind of modeling a bit less slow and boring.

hrgiger
06-21-2007, 04:21 AM
I would say it does a bit more then just mundane tasks. It does real time interactive booleans so it's got a "try before you buy" workflow and for people doing hard modeling, I think it's a must have. For character modelers though, you're right, it's not a must by any means. The ability to create your own profiles for beveling makes it incredibly flexible and customizable. Also, the ability to dial in resolution to both booleans and freeze operations is wonderful. These tools are useful even if you're not doing archViz.

DiedonD
06-21-2007, 04:24 AM

Anyway, perhaps its a bad place to post my kind of comments. But to make matters short, Ill just say that I have made my decision, its a done thing, take it from there if you please. And that is that Im selling my LWCAD1.5 to a friend of mine. Now, is ownership transferable? He obviosly needs it way much more than I.

Id like him to have it, and then he will upgrade to LWCAD2.5. Can anyone tell me how all this is done?

Thanks.

colkai
06-21-2007, 04:58 AM
EMail Viktor, I'm sure he'll try to sort things for you.

Not everyone has a use for LWCAD after all.

Just because I find it indispensable, doesn't mean you have to! :)
Truthfully, about 90% of what I use the LCAD tools for have zero to do with ArchViz.

I managed to avoid certain reactions in this reply, you know, I think I've grown,. :p

OOZZEE
06-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Did anyone have trouble with manual install ? importing the branch in EDIT MENU didn't display all the menus.

jin choung
06-21-2007, 08:58 PM
to repeat it on this thread as well - lwcad is useful for way more than archviz - i don't do archviz at all...

if you don't care for snaps and you only do characters, then perhaps you wouldn't need it. otherwise, for general, all around modeling from vehicles to clothing, accessories, as well as buildings, it is invaluable.

jin

johnbeam
06-28-2007, 08:23 AM
How do we make a custom shape profile?

Philbert
06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
How do we make a custom shape profile?

I downloaded 2.5 but haven't installed it yet. Assuming it's the same as 2.1 you draw out your shape with the NURB splines. Then if it's a closed shape click "Add to 2D lib". If it's a open shape add it to the 1D lib. If it doesn't appear in the library check your LWCAD Options and make sure it is correctly pointing at your Lightwave\Programs\Presets folder.

rqe3bc
06-28-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm just a Lightwave beginner and LWCad 2.5 is so fast and simple to use! I don't do any archviz but I do create a lot of houses, pop them into a little game engine and do walkthroughs. Now if only I could learn how to model a nice cat to go with my house.... :)

Snosrap
06-28-2007, 02:59 PM
- lwcad is useful for way more than archviz - i don't do archviz at all...
jin Yeah I use day in day out for furniture design--great tools to make profiles. I'm going to hound Viktor for more furniture related functions.

Cheers
Snosrap