PDA

View Full Version : Compositing in LW

Ty Catt
06-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Hey y'all,

I am compositing an object onto a high res pic for a client.

Is there a way (i.e.plug-in, filter) to help make the images flow together better? Despite the image being high res., the object still renders sharper and clearer than the high res image.

Should I customize the resolution differently? Currently I have the res set to SVGA. Does the res of the background image play a role in the problem? It's @ 3400 x 2500. The final render is for print, too.

Is the illusion improved via Photoshop work? I am planning on disrupting the shadows to bump up the ground a bit anyway.

I attached a thumb of the scene which is of an abandoned trailer in the desert, rendered in SVGA at medium AA.

I am running version 7.5c.

Any critiques would help.

Thanks!

Tyler

Otterman
06-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Resolution?-its kinda hard to tell cus the resolution of the attached file is pretty low! However, the 1st thing that jumps out at me is the shadow cast along the ground. A tad too dark and too well defined considering its falling across sand!

Andyjaggy
06-20-2007, 08:25 AM
The shadow seems a little too sharp. also try a little GI to darken up the ground along the edge of the object. Try adding a little grain or something to soften the 3D object a tad.

Twisted_Pixel
06-20-2007, 08:42 AM
As others have said the shadow cast on the ground is too harsh.

To me it also appears to be floating. Also it is set perfectly flat, which I would imagine would be quite an effort on that ground.

You have given it a somewhat distressed appearance, yet the edges are all perfectly straight.

Possibly add some sand/debris piled up against the side in places.

Tyler007
06-20-2007, 08:47 AM
One trick that helps the object fit better in a photo is to add a soft filter to the render in the camera properties. The reason for this is because the 3D render will always be much more crisp than the photo.

Ty Catt
06-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Real quick:

I was planning on doing the shadow break ups in Photoshop. Would it be better to deform the ground in LW? I did make the box float a bit (a little too much!) in order to get a small amount of a shadow. Flush against it looks worse.

Piling up some sand sounds good too.

AndyJaggy- what's GI refer to? I'm a little slow in some areas as you can see!:) Use an image filter to add grain to the object?

Tyler007- Tried the soft filter, makes it too soft. I wish there a soften variable we could control.

Thanks again, guys.

SplineGod
06-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Add some noise/film grain to the render.

toby
06-22-2007, 12:33 AM
You should really be doing blurs and grain in Photoshop. It doesn't make sense to render the 3D over again when they're 2D effects anyway. Try a 1/2 pixel blur or even 1/4. Actually, higher AA will soften it a tiny bit as well as improve the quality.

As far as rendering more photo-real, in addition to what's been mentioned, bevel those edges! And the right side of the container needs some fill light, it's too dark - GI would take care of that too (GI=Global Illumination; radiosity)

Ty Catt
06-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Sounds good,Toby!

Thanks for your comments, I'm giving everyone's suggestions a try.

Tyler

-EsHrA-
06-22-2007, 07:53 AM
just fiddle a bitt with it in photoshop your'e already almost there.
dont be shy to alter the background image too.

mlon