PDA

View Full Version : DWG-DXF files

the3dredege
06-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Hello!
I am currently running LWv9 for MAC and have just been sent a load of DWG and DXF files of a complicated building structure, but i'm having trouble loading them. The DWG files are just an error and the DXF files come in as polylines which are just a knightmare! Does anyone know away in which i can import these in as a 3D file or so that they are full polygons?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Gary

brian.coates
06-20-2007, 04:46 AM
The files were originally created in AutoCAD?

Well, for starters DWG is a 2D format so you won't have any joy there.

The DXF files have probably had their 3D elements exploded for export which would explain why they're coming in as polylines, assuming there were any 3D elements to start with.

I'd suggest asking whoever sent you the files to try exporting them as a .3DS file to ease the way forward, as LW has no problems (generally) importing that format.

the3dredege
06-20-2007, 05:14 AM
Hi Brian,
thanks for your quick reply. That was a help, unfortunatly i can't get hold of the client, so i need a quick fix to get me out of trouble. I've had a look at some sharware programmes that can export out as different files. Is it worth me investing in one of these?
Thanks again Brian.

colkai
06-20-2007, 06:21 AM
If it's Arch-Viz, gotta say, the likelyhood is even the DXF are only line representations of the DWG 2D format.

Having done a part of a project for someone recently, I can say, it's probable, you'd import the DXF and use it to extrude walls etc. For sure though, these files can be a bit of a mess and some guesswork can be required in figuring things out.

To convert DWG to DXF nicely, I heartily recommend the free version (not pro) of A9CAD. http://www.a9tech.com/

Otterman
06-20-2007, 06:30 AM
i had a bunch of dwg files to convert once-always assumed they were 2d files. However, low and behold, 3d in my face when imported into sudiomax.

If you can get hold of a free demo u can then fire em out as 3ds files, bingo!
(pc only im afraid-boo-poo)

the3dredege
06-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Colaki,
many thanks for your help. I found that site already but that only seems to be PC, which is a mare. Do you no any Mac versions?

the3dredege
06-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Thanks for that Otterman,
my next question then, anyone got 3Dmax? :)

Haven1000
06-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Well, for starters DWG is a 2D format so you won't have any joy there.

DWG's can contain 3D geometry

Otterman
06-20-2007, 06:55 AM
the3dredege-fire it over, i'l see what i can do 4 ya!

brian.coates
06-20-2007, 07:21 AM
DWG's can contain 3D geometry
So Autodesk has shifted the goal-posts again?

Why am I not surprised...

Scazzino
06-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Try the Mac version of Google Sketchup (http://sketchup.google.com/).

The free version should read the files and the Pro version can export to 3DS which LW can read. The Pro version has a limited time demo mode that should be long enough to get your files out...

:thumbsup:

ingo
06-20-2007, 12:49 PM
DWG is Autocads native file format, so its 2D and 3D like DXF. I recommend looking for a cheap CAD software that helps you to convert and cleanup CAD files - i have Vectorworks for that task, not really cheap i know.

aperezg
06-20-2007, 09:39 PM
load of DWG and DXF files of a complicated building structure,

LWCAD can help since version 2

look this page
http://www.wtools3d.com/index.php?p=2&content=products