PDA

View Full Version : Cant get flashdocs to work on Mac OSX

Talonstryk
06-19-2007, 09:36 PM
I recently downloaded the trial version, installed it, and registered the trial. I then went to go download the webhelp file for mac, and installed it. I am still getting the error when i click on the "lightwave_help" file or on help in the application:

"The Online Help Files have not been installed.

You can download them from the NewTek online registration system at http://register.newtek.com"

Are these documents compatible with the trial, and where are they stored on a mac. The install logs shows that it installed 8839 files when I ran it, I just cant find where it is stored.

Thanks for the Help.

brian.coates
06-20-2007, 04:32 AM
Not sure about the trial edition but in the full version of Lightwave all the help files are installed in a folder called Documentation inside the main Lightwave folder.

It 'should' look something like this:

Talonstryk
06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
The documentation folder is there, but there are only two html files there. Both of them give the error I listed above when they are opened, that the web documentation is not installed. The package seems to be installed, I just cant figure out where it put the files.

roberthurt
06-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Yes, I've got the same problem. I installed the lw9.2.0_flashdocs.pkg but get the error message within lightwave suggesting the documentation isn't installed.

Inspecting the installer I noticed that it DID install a standard Mac OSX .help package in the /Library/Documentation/Help folder, which is browsable using the Mac Help viewer.

However, it's missing a little of the search functionality we've seen in previous flash-based help apps, I think, but maybe not much. It would be nice if LW could pull it up automatically though.

roberthurt
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
OK, here's a fix.

Find LightWave.help in /Library/Documentation/Help

Ctrl-click on it and choose "Show package contents".

Option-drag the LightWave_Help.htm file into your Lightwave 3D 9.2/Documentation folder (replacing the one that's in there).

Now you'll get a Safari window that will start up the Mac Help app with the Lightwave docs.

I think they missed a trick in the installer.

Talonstryk
06-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the help!