PDA

View Full Version : How to use widescreen footage in SD project

davalvideo
06-19-2007, 07:35 AM
This will probably be elementary to most of you, but it's uncharted territory for me. I had a colleague of mine shoot a middle school graduation for me using his new JVC HDV camcorder. (I forget which model, either the 100 or 110.) As in the past, i told him to record the event in SD in 4:3 mode...not 16:9. He has always donre so, until this last one where he recorded in 16:9.

How do I import the footage in VT-4 so that those with SD TVs will view it in letterbox mode? I've never worked in 16:9 before. I had already created the graphics and lower thirds for the project in CG Designer. When i watch his footage...which was provided to me on mini-DV tape...the image is full-screen...but squished vertically.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...and thank you in advance.

David..Arlington, Massachusetts

billmi
06-19-2007, 07:47 AM
If you are delivering on DVD, make sure you have 16x9 set as you output (i.e. if you render to a DV .avi file, check the 16x9 flag in the render options and when you take that footage into DVDWorkshop, it will automatically recognize it as 16x9.)

DVD players automatically letterbox 16x9 video for 4:3 display, assuming their set-up menu is set correctly (i.e. the DVD player actually knows if it is hooked up to a 4:3 or 16:9 display.)

SCS
06-19-2007, 12:17 PM
If you only desire a letterboxed output, in VT-Edit I believe there is a setting (under the sizing controls for a clip) which refers to the "Source Pixel Ratio" - or something to that effect - that is probably set at 1.0... change the lower one to 0.9 and that should resize the clip vertically.

rbartlett
06-19-2007, 01:01 PM
has the HDV JVC 100/110 camcorder also been recording in HDV or was that widescreen SD? If the camcorder is a GY-HD110 then we've got plenty of questions about which mode it was in other than just this widescreen option.

If the former, then you have the option to crop and optionally pan/scan the source material with no loss of resolution or black bars.

Otherwise, if you have SD, then you need to scale/crop 16:9 back to 4:3 with some loss of resolution. I'd expect this 16:9 is anamorphic 720x480.

If processing this in the NLE is painful, there are some in-camera options to play 16:9 recordings as 4:3 via the analog ports.

Here is the UK manual describing some of the options:
http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/getResource2/gy-hd110_111_instruction_manual.pdf?id=6467

Note in HiDef mode, this camcorder (and others in this class) can only record in 16:9. So 4:3 may have been selected but then the format may have been changed from SD-DV to HDV.