PDA

View Full Version : "Import EPS" limit?

cscardinal
06-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi again. I am importing what I think is a simple EPS file. It is a few lines of text that was converted to outlines and then brought in as an EPS 8 file with "fine" curves.

It just locks up LW 9 modeler and gives me the beach ball of doom when I try to drill it into a box object.

Any ideas? Model attached below before drilling.

Thanks

Chris

cscardinal
06-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Never mind, solved it myself.

But... Is there a limit to the complexity of the EPS file that you can import? This is the second time in less than a week that I came across this problem. It is a major pain to have to break up the Illustrator files just to get them to import at "fine" resolution.

C.

eblu
06-19-2007, 08:07 AM
you've duplicated the curves in illustrator haven't you?
any boolean function in LW craps out if you have two of the exact same thing directly on top of each other. it creates sort of the same effect as aiming two mirrors at each other and looking into infinity, computers HATE that, and they throw hissy fits.

I've found LW to be fairly good at importing Eps files, sometimes it takes a while but for the most part I haven't had difficulties. Now, having said that, LW by no means imports EPS files with any efficiency, it can make a pretty dense object, and LW has some limits it cannot go beyond.
LW has a point per poly limit, I think its something like 2000 points per polygon, but I know that it was recently changed and could potentially be Much higher.
LW also has ram limits, as does any app.
and since the Eps import process is inefficient, it can and will take a very long time, in which you will get little or no feedback.