PDA

View Full Version : Crashes when rendering

Vujaka
06-19-2007, 03:45 AM
Hi
I hope you guys can help me out here, I am busy with a arch viz project. I have tried to render some stills from my file but every so often my machine crashes whilst rendering. And I am talking about 1024 * 768 stills and even last night I crashed on a 640 *480. I don't know what's going on. It crashes so hard that my whole system reboots.

This was while using FG. I have tried Monte Carlo, which seems to work better, but I have had a crash on this too. Now I am trying AmOcc but how do you get the noise to some acceptable level?

HELP!!:screwy:

Maxx
06-19-2007, 04:49 AM
Open your task manager and watch your CPU and memory usage. I'm going through similar issues right now, but I know it's hardware related. I can't run both my CPU cores at 100% or my system locks or reboots - by this point I've replaced my RAM, CPU, and have now ordered a different manufacturer's mobo as I've already replaced that, too. The fact that your system locks up and requires rebooting sounds like yours may be hardware related, too.

Of course, it could be something simple (hate to sound like the voice of doom here) :D . Post your system specifications and any error messages you may get during a crash.

AMD Athlon X2 64 4600+
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI mobo (latest bios)
nVidia GeForce 7800GT
Windows XP Pro 32-bit

Vujaka
06-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Ag no...
I knew it.

Thanks for the reply. I am using a pentium 4 3ghz with hyper threading. I only have 1 gig ram, and a old gforce 128 screen card. :D Haha I am laughing allready when I look at your monster machine.

Maxx
06-19-2007, 05:47 AM
:D Haha I am laughing allready when I look at your monster machine.
OK - that's making me laugh. I'd use a lot of adjectives to describe my machine - "monster" isn't one that springs immediately to mind, especially given the issues I'm having with it right now...

Before you assume it is in fact a hardware conflict, download and run some diagnostics - MemTest 86+ for RAM, and there's a CPU burn-in program out there somewhere that can run your processor at top level to test that. Also, if you've got $40US or so to shell out, FixIt Utilities runs some hardware/software diagnostics that - while by no means comprehensive or in all cases even all that helpful - can help to pinpoint any major hardware issues.

Having said that, LW *should* run just fine on your current machine, though. And the freezing does sound like a hardware issue - the new renderer in 9.2 seems to push CPUs a lot harder than previous versions, so slight system instabilities can suddenly cause fairly major problems. Run a google search for system diagnostics, back up any important files on the hard drive, then run those suckers. If nothing else, it'll give you a starting point to try trouble shooting and replacing any hardware that may or may not be the culprit.

Vujaka
06-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Max I don knwo what happened but after reinstalling lightwave 9.2 last night it seems to be rendering fine. Sofar - touch wood.

While my machine is using about 97 - 99 cpu power, it still does not prevent me from surfing or opening photoshop. So go figure...

Now that I think of it, it did still crash but...I dont know what's going on. At least I can breath again. Must be divine intervention from above.:D

Thanks

Maxx
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Glad it's working for you! Never think too much about why when things suddenly fix themselves! :thumbsup:

I think I finally narrowed down my troubles to a bad motherboard. Actually, 2 bad motherboards. Replaced it with a different brand this time and everything seems to moving along well so far - still testing, but definitely getting better results than before. :D

toby
06-21-2007, 01:37 PM
You may be running out of ram Vujaka. How many megs of textures are in your scene, and what image format are they?

Vujaka
07-25-2007, 12:45 AM
How can I check for the textures? I only have a gig, but my partner hs the same specs, and on hre machine it renders fine.

I am getting depressed...

toby
07-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Open the image editor and look at the top right corner, the total megs of textures is there. And Lightwave doesn't work well with JPGs as textures, convert any that you have to PNG, index color/8 bit if possible. Disabling the hub also gives you more stability.

If your system is worse than another identical one, you could try deleting your config files, flushing all plugins and reloading them, beyond that you'll have to get advice from someone who knows PCs better than I do -

Vujaka
07-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Hi Thanks Toby, most of my textures are jpeg. :twak:
My memory seems fine, I tested with memTest.

I'll try the configs and also the textures.

Vujaka
07-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Well I had a look at the textures size. It says 32 (89.2 MB) and 97% of my textures are jpg.

Just crashed now actually. Anybody who can help me please?

toby
07-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Lightwave doesn't work well with JPGs as textures, convert any that you have to PNG, index color/8 bit if possible. Disabling the hub also gives you more stability.
Did you try this yet? During rendering is exactly when JPG textures become a problem, and everybody that I've recommended this to has had definite improvements.

Surrealist.
07-26-2007, 12:35 AM
Well I had a look at the textures size. It says 32 (89.2 MB) and 97% of my textures are jpg.

Just crashed now actually. Anybody who can help me please?

Is your CPU running hot? Another thing to check. I just went through a similar episode and determined it was an overheating CPU. When the CPU reaches a certain temp the system shuts down. Rendering heats up the CPU.

One thing that does not cost anything to check is to open up your machine and give it a visual once over. Make sure the fan is working on the CPU, that you have ventilation etc.

In my case as an example I was able to determine that my CPU fan was clogged with dust and the air flow from the heat sink was blocked. Clearing out the clumps of dust solved my problem. Pretty extreme, yes, but that was it.

There are a few reasons why your CPU could be overheating though but you should at least cross the visual inspection off the list.

Vujaka
07-27-2007, 02:05 AM
Isnt it my cpu or motherboard? I ran indigo last night and when I got to my machine this morning, it had also crashed.

My friend says it could be windows kernel or something.

So from that point as least I can say it's not lightwave making it crash.

Surrealist.
07-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Overheating is one of the reasons your system can shut down like that and you might want to take a look at that along with other things.

There might be a utility that came with your motherboard to check for CPU temps. You can also crack open the case, put your hand near the CPU, if you can feel a great amount of the heat coming off of it - like it might burn you - chances are its too hot. Then you need to find out why and fix that.

jburford
07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Turn off the Beep in the rendering options or turn off the loudspeaker!!!

Give it a quick try and let me know!!!

Am still testing this, but on my girl friends Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop, if the Beep is on, the System Goes down!!!! This even happens with LW ver. 8.3.....

Strange, real strange....

jburford
08-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Hope you are still monitoring this Thread, or have you settled the Issue?

Vujaka
08-01-2007, 09:19 AM
It crashed today while running cpu tester lite. Beep is off too. So I think it's time to upgrade, right? or is there some other way? I don't have too much free bucks hanging around.

Surrealist.
08-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Have you checked for overheating?

Vujaka
08-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Yes, it's definitely not my cpu. Never got higher than 50 degrees. SO it must be the ram. Also a strange thing, my machine rendered just fine using monti carlo, but crashed every time when using final gathering - whilst doing a test animation.