PDA

View Full Version : iMac & LW upgrade to v9

hisham
06-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Hello everybody

I would appreciate some advice here.

I do have a 2.5 year old iMac G5 with 1GB RAM but unfortunately only 64MB of VRAM, which is not upgradable :-(, and that causes me some pain with layout and render. My LW version is 8.5 and I do have a free upgrade for v9, which I haven't taken up yet so far.

My questions are:
1. If I would upgrade to v9 would this cause even MORE 'stress' on my 64MB VRAM? Can I still get away with it? Or does v9 force me to buy a new computer?
2. Will I need a new dongle for the upgrade to v9? I did hear that some people had some issues there.

Cheers & thanks in advance.

Hisham

BazC
06-19-2007, 01:16 AM
Hello everybody

I would appreciate some advice here.

I do have a 2.5 year old iMac G5 with 1GB RAM but unfortunately only 64MB of VRAM, which is not upgradable :-(, and that causes me some pain with layout and render. My LW version is 8.5 and I do have a free upgrade for v9, which I haven't taken up yet so far.

My questions are:
1. If I would upgrade to v9 would this cause even MORE 'stress' on my 64MB VRAM? Can I still get away with it? Or does v9 force me to buy a new computer?
2. Will I need a new dongle for the upgrade to v9? I did hear that some people had some issues there.

Cheers & thanks in advance.

Hisham

I have LW9 running on a G4 eMac that is lower spec than your iMac and it runs fine. I don't think you'll notice much difference in performance between 8.5 and 9. I'm pretty sure that all the options that require a better GFX card can be turned off so you should be OK.

If you have the purple duo dongle (says Rainbow Duo on the LED side) there's no need to change. If you have the Mac only USB dongle you may need to exchange it, I know there was a problem but I can't remember how it was resolved, sorry.

hisham
06-19-2007, 02:22 AM
Thanks mate. Appreciate your response. I'll go ahead and download my free version. Fingers crossed ... Cheers.

Chilton
06-19-2007, 04:09 AM
Hi,

If you have the Mac only USB dongle you may need to exchange it, I know there was a problem but I can't remember how it was resolved, sorry.

We solved it in software. All USB dongles should work fine.

-Chilton

BazC
06-19-2007, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the info Chilton!