PDA

View Full Version : Creating a "Motion" effect

TWC
06-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Hello All,

What I'm trying to do must be simple since almost everyone does it.

Basically, I have a plain solid color background and I need to create a "motion" effect. On the shows I've seen this on it kind of looks like a light or something going across the screen creating the illusion of motion.

Any idea how I can do this in SE?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions. You guys are awesome!

Tammy
TWC

billmi
06-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Can you be a bit more specific about what you are trying to achieve? Maybe some examples?

TWC
06-18-2007, 11:00 AM
All I can think of is commercials or on some of the "religious" shows to be specific, when they put up a page that has a plain color for a background and they have sales info or something on top of it, sometimes you can see what looks almost like a light effect or (for lack of proper terminology) "a shiny looking 'line'" that goes through the background. Usually it's a diagonal line moving from left to right.

Rich Deustachio
06-18-2007, 01:28 PM
You can either use premade motion backgrounds from Digital Juice or other companies that make them, or you can take the plain still background you already have, drag a copy of it below itself by holding down ctrl while draging down the copy. Then you can go into the control tree and soften the edges, lighten it up with color controls, turn on overlay on that clip and animate it across the screen. If you want it on an angle just zoom it in a bit and rotate it 45 degrees.

Randy Rouse
06-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Sounds like volumetric lighting. Mirage, AfterEffects, or another comp application can do it but that effect it not buit in to SE as far as I know.

CreatvGnius
06-18-2007, 05:30 PM
...when they put up a page that has a plain color for a background and they have sales info or something on top of it, sometimes you can see what looks almost like a light effect or (for lack of proper terminology) "a shiny looking 'line'" that goes through the background. Usually it's a diagonal line moving from left to right.

Wait: I think I know what you mean to convey...

When you said 'line', TWC -- you had me thinking of a mere 1 or 2-pixel wide sort of thing -- but that's not what you mean at all, is it?! Aren't you after something that's rather broad in width, with a soft edge -- so as to give the appearance that the background color has a swath (sp?) of light gleaming down on it from an angle, yet moving across from left to right? Is that it??

TWC
06-19-2007, 09:02 AM
yes, yes, yes!! :) Is there a simple way to accomplish this? Keep in mind that I'm basically self taught and while that's not a bad thing, I've pretty much learned on a need to know basis. I am also rather new to SpeedEDIT and while I've picked up quite a bit and have some cool looking stuff done, I don't know how to do what some would consider simple basic stuff..... like animating something across the screen. :)

Jim_C
06-19-2007, 09:47 AM
The elements you need are:

(Assuming text)

1 layer of your text.
1 copy layer of your text on top of that with the luminance cranked way up.
Turn on overlay for the brighter text.
Crop in both sides of your brightened text and you will see the 'line' you speak of start to form.
Animate the crop to reveal the brighter text which should make it look like a gleam across the text.

I believe this could be one way to do it.

Rich Deustachio
06-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Only problem with doing it on text is that you can't have the glint on an angle because the crop and soft edge doesn't work that way.

TWC
06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
I am actually trying to do this on a background right now.... just a solid color. When I have time to "play" I want to try what Jim suggested on text, but I'm not even sure how to animate something yet either. I couldn't find anything in the SE pdf manual that said how to either.

billmi
06-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Pretty much anything you can set in the control tree (transparency, position, rotation, softness of edge, size, etc.) can be animated by setting keyframes in the spline editor.

Look for it in the manual under spline editor, rather than animation.

SBowie
06-19-2007, 02:47 PM
or "keyframe" ... start reading around Section 5.6, and keep going ...

TWC
06-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Cool.... thank you all very much. You guys are great!

Tammy

SBowie
06-19-2007, 04:22 PM
np .. btw ... this would be child's play in Aura, if you have that.
Not a great example, but if you look close, you can see the gleam
crossing here:

http://www.vtworx.com/Resources/toybox/gleam.jpg

joseburgos
06-21-2007, 08:36 PM
These are old but I think they are what you are looking for;
http://www.burgos-family.com/movies/glint_image.wmv
http://www.burgos-family.com/movies/glint_title.wmv
http://www.burgos-family.com/movies/glint_title3.wmv
All done in SpeedEdit except the image one's logo was rendered in LW and the background is an image but it's all comp't in SE and the glint effect is all SpeedEdit.

Take care,
Jose Burgos

TWC
06-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Those are great, but how do you do them??

joseburgos
06-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Duplicate layer of item needing the glint under original on the timeline.
Overlay on, control tree to set the alpha and color/saturation/etc of what I am looking for (in these examples white).
Animated the crop tool to create the "slit" passing over the background.
Animate the shadow to make the glint.

Take care,

CreatvGnius
06-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Duplicate layer of item needing the glint under original on the timeline.
Overlay on, control tree to set the alpha and color/saturation/etc of what I am looking for (in these examples white).
Animated the crop tool to create the "slit" passing over the background.
Animate the shadow to make the glint.

Take care,

Hi, Jose-
While I believe I understood 85% of your mini-tutorial here, I'm unclear about a few details for the creation of "glint_title3":

[LIST=1]
1. This anim is created with only 2 layers of text, and not 3?
2. How did you come up with that 6-point, "italicized" star, for the "glint"?
3. You've made the "animated slit" reveal bright white text, yet, as it passes by to the right (the slit was keyframed on the X POSITIONER node in Control Tree), how did you make that very same text appear blue in color, as the "slit and star" both passed over it, if indeed this consists of only 2 layers of text?

Thanks for the additional insights, Jose -- or anyone for that matter. I'm taking into consideration the fact that the original poster (TWC) says he's new to SpeedEDIT, and says he/she is still unlearned about performing even the most basic tricks in SpeedEDIT.:help:

TWC
06-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Thank you so much for thinking of me... ;) I will admit to being slightly (maybe not so slightly) lost, but I was hoping that once I had some time to read the sections of the manual on keyframing and such that were recommended in previous posts, that I might understand more of what Jose was talking about.

Tammy
TWC

joseburgos
08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Tammy,
Been a while since I looked at this thread so I was wondering if you where able to create the effect on your project?