PDA

View Full Version : Freeze APS

Boris Goreta
06-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Is it possible to freeze and save APS subdivided object ? I want to make true bumps so I need high resolution mesh on the part with bumps and lower resolution mesh on the part without bumps. I need to freeze such object to use it with fprime.

Exception
06-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Yes you can, in a way.
Set up your object in modeler the way you like, displacement maps and all, and then set your display subpatch level to the level you'd like your object to be (this won't be camera-relative), and then select the object and choose 'save transformed' in the file menu. It'll then get saved with the displacements at the level you've set.

Boris Goreta
06-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks exception but this isn't what I am looking for. I want the level of subdivision to be higher at some parts of the object and lower at other parts. That way I can control which part of the object can have greater detail and save polycount on the parts that don't require detail. This is what APS does but it does so only at render time which prevents me from saving the object which is subdivided in that way.

SplineGod
06-18-2007, 12:24 AM
You should get that once you set it up in layout and use the save transformed tool.

Boris Goreta
06-18-2007, 05:04 AM
Sorry guys, I don't follow you. I need idiot proof walkthrough on this.

Starting with a simple sphere I want to get an object in modeler looking like the attached image. I can only get the sphere to render that way but I can't save it like that using save transformed object. It only saves the uniformly subdivided sphere.

:help:

arsad
06-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Well because it is impossible. The subdivision, you would like to "freeze", is only
made/valid at rendertime. so as far as I know there is no way to do this.

Boris Goreta
06-18-2007, 10:52 AM
That's a shame. I must write to Newtek so they would add it to the feature list.

theo
06-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Have you tried a weight map?

dpont
06-18-2007, 11:24 AM
A displacement plugin or a node for displacement node editor
has potential to export the APS mesh during rendering,
but for your purpose you could work with an hi-res mesh
for true bumping and use Qemloss3 to reduce undesired
flat polys in Modeler.

Denis.

monovich
06-18-2007, 05:31 PM
I've often wanted this feature at well (save the [email protected] mesh).

voriax
06-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Hmm, I realise APS subdivisions are calculated at rendertime only, but the info must be transferrable to be viewed in the layout display. I swear, early on in the beta cycle when APS was first introduced, I tried it out and an object remained subdivided from APS after render and was displaying as such in the layout window.
I could rotate the object around and see that it had subdivided more at the front and less at the rear. Obviously it was an error at the time and as far as I know there's no way to reproduce it. I remember because I was using fprime to view it at the time.
..Do I look crazy now?

SplineGod
06-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Yes it used to work...ouch! :)

RedBull
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
A displacement plugin or a node for displacement node editor
has potential to export the APS mesh during rendering,
but for your purpose you could work with an hi-res mesh
for true bumping and use Qemloss3 to reduce undesired
flat polys in Modeler.

Denis.

Really? I wouldn't have guessed it.... Any chance of a Node sometime?

dpont
06-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Have posted a link to the beta of Save APS node (win32) here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70208#6

Denis.

eyelandarts
06-23-2007, 10:08 AM
heh, what would we do without Dennis! Thanks.

What I dont understand is that newtek demonstrated this ability when they announced 9.0 so you would they take it out? strange.