PDA

View Full Version : Deep Paint 3D works with LW 9.2..sort of

IMI
06-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, I'll be damned. it turns out that Right Hemisphere's Deep Paint 3D (version 1.61 with Texture Weapons) does in fact work with LW 9.2...sort of, anyway.
The Exchange Plugin for Modeler will at least load a fully textured model into DP3D where you can then paint on it, but that's about it.
If you press the button on the plugin interface to send it back to Modeler, though, it'll sometimes crash Modeler, sometimes not. Whern it doesn't, though, the model reappears with all triangles, although the UV's stay the same, and the texture is updated.
When it causes a crash, it only crashes Modeler, not DP3D, but apparently the crash happens after the textures are updated, but before the model is converted to tri's - you can restart Modeler and load the object, and it'll be intact with the new textures.

Semi-useful

Of course, even with a .lwo saved as 9.2 (if it has no node surfaces) will load correctly into DP3D. You just have to browse for every texture it wants, unless they're all in the same folder as the .lwo.

Like I said, semi-useful in that I can at least avoid a couple of steps. I just bought Body Paint 3D for this purpose, and it works great, but for now at least, I like DP3D better. Bodypaint is too photoshoppy, but I suppose I'll get used to it.

I sure would like to see RH sell DP3D to someone though, rather than sitting on it and ignoring it. They could at least make an updated plugin. I've emailed them so many times, but they couldn't be less concerned, it seems...

Qexit
06-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Hm, interesting. Quite recently, I received an email from Right Hemisphere about both Deep Paint 3D and Deep UV. This was a surprise because I only ever remember owning a license for Deep UV :) Anyway, the email told me about the latest updates for both packages that were now available...and reminded me of my Serial Numbers and provided new Activation Codes for both packages. I downloaded and installed both applications and they did appear to work though I have not touched either since due to other distractions :D

If you are only running Deep Paint 3D (version 1.61 with Texture Weapons), you might want to see if the latest version 2.3 is more reliable as it supposedly includes updated support for Adobe Photoshop CS1 and CS2, & the latest versions of Max, Maya, and Lightwave via Importers and Exporters. I cannot post the direct link for the download here as I believe it is specific to my Serial Number/User ID but it might be worth your getting the trial version and seeing if Right Hemisphere will provide an activation code ?

http://www.righthemisphere.com/support/downloads/

Good luck :thumbsup:

AbnRanger
06-18-2007, 09:26 AM
I've used it with Max, and they released the update to work with Max 9. Works pretty well.

I too sent them an e-mail, about their apparent disinterest in the program. They really need to make at least one video tutorial/demonstration to help new users get up and running, and to peak the interest of potential buyers. Leaving that up to someone else to do (relying on a link to a brief tutorial that 3D Buzz did years ago) is sheer laziness and shows that they don't really care if they sell the product or not. I guess they plan on letting it die out, fearing the competition. I don't see why, when they can use Deep UV and Deep Explorer (now packaged together with Deep Paint in a bundle) as leverage. It's still a pretty amazing product...and would compete well if they'd give it a good upgrade, promote it better, and make it easier for users to learn, by providing THEIR OWN video tutorials (which can be done in one afternoon) on their website.

Speaking of selling the program to another developer... Wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise if Newtek bought it, upgraded and integrated it into LW the way C4D has done with BodyPaint (they could still sell it as a plugin for other programs, like C4D does)? It would help remove some of the appeal that Modo has with it's built in painting tools.
The bump channel can be used as is or used for displacement, and should work rather nicely with APS.

The bonus about that would be (assuming LW receives a massive improvement to it's poly-handling) users should have less need to resort to using Zbrush, and could instead use this as their "Sculpting Tool" for many projects.
I know that it would appeal to me if I were considering LW for the first time. Imagine having 3 programs now in LW...Modeler, Painter, and Layout.

IMI
06-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I repeat, well, I'll be damned.
I have to admit it's been a while since I last checked with them, so this is news to me. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking it out right after I write this.

I'm gonna have to email them again in this case. I had a completely different ISP back then, so if they sent out info to me, I wouldn't have gotten it.

Thanks again. :)

PS: Agreed about LW and DP3D. In any event it'd be nice to see LW get some sort of integrated paining. Preferably something better than all the rest. Vertex Paint doesn't really do it for me. ;)

IMI
06-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Coolness!
Got the demo for now at least, sent an email about upgrading.
it does in fact work with LW 9.2 - very well, actually, and not a single crash after playing around with it for over an hour, sending the model back and forth.
It does, however, convert your model into triangles, just have to remember not to save from Modeler and overwrite.

Edited:
Oh, by the way, I also agree about the tutorial thing. it's not a difficult program to learn, but there's so little out there, it's ridiculous.