PDA

View Full Version : Logitech meeses - mild rant

IMI
06-17-2007, 10:36 AM
I would strongly recommend to anyone who does alot of computer work to NOT buy either the MX 1000 Laser mouse OR the brand new MX Revolution Laser Mouse ("The world's most advanced mouse", according to them) - both by Logitech, both wireless and rechargeable.

In the course of the past 2 years I've gone through 4 of them. FOUR of them! Three were the MX 1000 Laser mouse and the most recent is the MX Revolution Laser Mouse.

Bought retail, these weigh in at around $100.00 each, give or take.

The 1st MX 1000 Laser mouse I had developed a LMB sticking problem after just a few months. I figured, OK, I got a bad one...bought a second...and then a 3rd...

They all give out after around the same amount of time.

So, when the MX Revolution Laser Mouse came out, I figured maybe they got it right. Nope. This time not only the LMB has gone bad, but the RMB as well as the scroll wheel. One after the other - all of a sudden the scroll wheel quit - just quit one day, then the RMB and now the LMB.
Oh, the buttons still work, but they doubleclick when you just want a single click. or sometimes not at all.
it's not a software thing, not a conflict, not dirty, didn't get beer spilled in it, hasn't been abused.

They simply are terribly-built products. Logitech puts all their effort into gimicky crap and their Set Point software, but what they really need is to hire some better engineers who can invent a mouse that doesn't break all down after less than 6 months under heavy usage.

My Microsoft wireless Optical mouse I've had for 3 years now still works fine. And that HAS had stuff spilled in it.

I swear, I will never buy another Logitech mouse again, ever, never, never.
Hewlett Packard mice suck too, btw.

Twisted_Pixel
06-17-2007, 10:56 AM
I've had an MX1000 for at least two years now, without a hitch. Mine has not even had the best care in the world. I'm a lot happier with it, than my previous Microsoft one.

IMI
06-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I know. I hear that alot, actually. My boss has one going on 2 years now, and he's on his computer all day.
I can't believe though that I've just had such bad luck. Once, even twice I can see, but four times with four different mice over 2 years, all the same problem?
I still have them all too. One of these days I'm gonna send them back and see what Logitech has to say about them.

hrgiger
06-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Though pesonally, I usually find the $18 mouse from microsoft to be quite satisfactory.

nolan
06-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your experiences. I've had my MX1000 for a little over a year now without any problem. Bought it primarly because of the ergonomics (more comfortable grip) since I normally am working 10 to 14 hour days.

IMI
06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Though pesonally, I usually find the $18 mouse from microsoft to be quite satisfactory.

Oh, no problem.
The thing is, the MX 1000 and the MX Revolution are *extremely* good mice - while they're still working. Especially the MX revolution, with the zero-friction scroll wheel. Literally, frictionless.

*sigh*

Now I feel like that one guy in every software forum who has a debilitating bug, while everyone around him says, "Nope, never seen that, everything works great here.". :D

And, to show my stupidity even further, I just ran up to Office Depot and bought a brand new MX Revolution. :O

Didn't I say i wasn't gonna do that again?

I'm gonna bookmark this thread. I'll see y'all in another 5 months... ;)

StereoMike
06-17-2007, 02:57 PM
I have an old MX Desktop (with MX 700).
It never let me down. It's just a little heavy, so for the other machine I bought a cheap and small cable desktop mouse.

mike

robk
06-17-2007, 03:39 PM
got some MX 518 gaming mice when they were on sale for $20 Canadian
I think I bought 4 of them and they work great, on the fly resolution changes can come in handy some time. They are back up to $70 now locally. I never found our why they went on sale for so cheap but I'm glad I bought a bunch of them when they were.

IMI
06-17-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm starting to wonder if I might have somehow simply pissed off the God of Computer Mice, and somehow earned an eternal vendetta.

The new MX Revolution is doing well...for now, but I know it's just waiting for its chance to strike - probably at the most opportune time when a single click will achieve success, but a double-click will cause utter, irretrievable failure. It lay in waiting, waiting...waiting for that perfect moment...

As I stare it down and look into its evil little mousy eyes, I dare it to [email protected]#k with me...and it backs down.
For now.
But we both know it's just a matter of time. :D

Bytehawk
06-17-2007, 05:41 PM
it would seem to me you need to get to know your mouse, talk to it, listen to it's side of the story. Maybe it's as frustrated as you are. In the end you both will have to get along ......

Matt
06-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I have a Logitech MX500, and it's been fine, although I do agree with the build quality of their products, they like to make out as if they are built to the highest standards without expense, but in reality they are made as cheap as they can possibly get away with.

IMI
06-17-2007, 06:03 PM
I have a Logitech MX500, and it's been fine, although I do agree with the build quality of their products, they like to make out as if they are built to the highest standards without expense, but in reality they are made as cheap as they can possibly get away with.

Yup, and therein lay the problem - the springs in the buttons simply can handle only so many clicks. Well, that would stand to reason, considering physical components simply wear down, but if I'm paying 90 - 100 bucks for a mouse, I'd assume that it'd be up to regular, extended usage.

A real-life mouse lives for about a billion ticks of its tiny little heart.
If my Logitech mice managed even a tenth of that, they'd long outlive me. ;)

Sarford
06-18-2007, 03:43 AM
I don't have mice with fancy names just normal optical mice but they're all Logitech and they all work fine for a couple of years now.
I never use wireless mice because frankly, I think it looks just plain odd. I've also never understood the advantage of 'high resolution' mice, whats that for, so I can be sure my mouse can handle working in Indesign?

I'd definitly go back with these mice to logitech if I were you. And if they say 'bad luck', threaten them with bad exposure on all the forums you can get your hands on. That'll teach them :D

oDDity
06-18-2007, 03:50 AM
I also have a dirt cheap (4.99) generic brand optical mouse which has been working perfectly for 2 years. It's the best mouse I've ever had.

starbase1
06-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Yep, after a couple of years messing about with cordless mice and high tech options I got fed up mucking about with batteries and stuff, and positioning the receiver thingy, and went back to a dirt cheap one on a wire.

It works.

It is a bit light though - maybe I'll stuff a bit of plasticine inside, to give it a bit more heft. Then it will be perfect.

Andyjaggy
06-18-2007, 08:28 AM
I bought the el cheapo microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse combo. Love it. I actually like it more then some of the really expensive mice I have tried. I've always been a big fan of microsot keyboards and mice though.

mattclary
06-18-2007, 01:54 PM
All I use are Logitech mice, never had a problem with any of the. I use two older optical wheel mice, a cordless VX Revolution, a NEW G5 (that I have only seen at Best Buy) and an older MX510 that I just put on a shelf about two months ago when I got the G5.

I'm going to say I think you are really unlucky, have pi$$ed off the mice gods, or emanate a mouse destroying negative energy field.

Safe Harbor
06-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Erm... do you mayhaps have a cat who is playing while you're not home? :D

I've been using a Logitech cordless mouse for about 2 years now, no problems.

Red_Oddity
06-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I've always have had Logitech mice, and they never have failed me (besides die-ing when thrown against a wall, yes i have a bad temper at times)
BUT, i noticed that since the last 1.5 year the design (internally) is a LOT less wear and tear resistant than the old ones, it all hinges on a couple of cheap pieces of plastic and small copper plates that have the really bad habbit of getting bend when clicking too hard (and thus your mouse button stops working or gets all weird, like the double mouse click problem when clicking once)

Right now i'm using the S510 wireless keyboard mouse combi, not too expensive, has a great range (i can browse and game from my couch (at about 3 meters distance from the pc and 40" tv)) and it has already survived my patented anger G force trash test against the wall, twice.

Tiger
06-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I use MX Revolution Laser Mouse since it came out
and it is the best mouse I eve had :thumbsup:

Lamont
06-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I've went through 4 MX 1000's and on all of them the MMB is what died/broke. I don't think Logitech realizes how much the MMB is used in the apps we use. I don't want to get the MX Revolution and have it break. Even though they will replace with almost no questions asked...

So, what IS a good wireless mouse?

calilifestyle
06-18-2007, 04:33 PM
i use that evoluent vertical mouse at work and at home huh not sure, but when they fire me im sure going to walk way with the evoluen hehe

Lamont
06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
No, not that mouse :D. Because I hold my hand in wild positions when I am gaming.

Bog
06-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.

Finally, I have a replacement for my Amiga Mouse. But with more buttons and things, which are macro-able, so I can weld verts with a thumb-swipe. Yay.

Andyjaggy
06-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Speaking of mice is there any way to set it up so you can zoom with the scroll wheel in LW?

Red_Oddity
06-19-2007, 03:21 AM
I believe ALT+wheel is zoom and CTRL+wheel is timeslider.

Phil
06-19-2007, 06:08 AM
I have an MX Revolution mouse here. First wireless mouse I've ever had. The battery life is a little disappointing; forgetting to put it back on the charger can be a real pain. I'm also entirely unable to figure out how to get a middle click out of it *sigh*

Nonetheless, it's a nice, comfortable mouse and performs much better on my desk than the optical MS mouse it replaced. Mouse mat is no longer essential to get decent tracking.

Mind you, I really need to order a tablet to make life a little easier in ArtRage, etc.

CMT
06-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Mighty Mouse here! And loving it. The only problem sometimes is the side buttons which at times are easily pressed by accident. So I deactivated them. I hardly ever used them anyway.

BeeVee
06-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Try pressing both buttons at the same time... not that you'll need to for many things, but invaluable for games.

B

umstitch
06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I have an MX Revolution mouse here. First wireless mouse I've ever had. The battery life is a little disappointing; forgetting to put it back on the charger can be a real pain. I'm also entirely unable to figure out how to get a middle click out of it *sigh*

Nonetheless, it's a nice, comfortable mouse and performs much better on my desk than the optical MS mouse it replaced. Mouse mat is no longer essential to get decent tracking.

Mind you, I really need to order a tablet to make life a little easier in ArtRage, etc.

..i know wat u mean,...heres how..

..go into the setpoint software, go to My Mouse Tab, select the middle mouse button on the page with the pic of the mouse, and select other as the task for it, click the select function button and choose Middle Button...

..now the midle button behaves as a normal click and scoll jobby...gl

Bill Carey
06-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.

Finally, I have a replacement for my Amiga Mouse. But with more buttons and things, which are macro-able, so I can weld verts with a thumb-swipe. Yay.

I'd agree with that. Mine works fine even though subjected to some severe stress when I used to game on the computer. (Slamming, beating and throwing were not out of the question)

On the other hand, my wife has the MX1000 mouse, has never had an issue with it. (Other than forgetting to put it in the cradle)

zardoz
06-20-2007, 03:20 AM
I have the mx 1000 for more than a year now and it's the best mouse I've ever had. I bought it because I couldn't find a mouse that was 'big'. I could only find small mouses and after half an hour with one of those my hand is dying. So with the mx1000 I can rest my hand.

Stooch
06-20-2007, 03:59 AM
i cant find the kind of mice i need. i want a decent 3 button mouse. none of the scroll wheel bs.

oDDity
06-20-2007, 04:00 AM
Speaking of mice is there any way to set it up so you can zoom with the scroll wheel in LW?

Yes, you can use an app called autohotkey to set that up, or anything you like for that matter. I have maya style navigation in modeler.

t4d
06-20-2007, 04:59 AM
YEP Logitech Hype and the wireless idea Have loss all they charm in my books

I went thought MX 1000 and a g5 and g7 All wireless
One broken cause i dropped it ( I didn't think it was that hard )
the other 2 had recharge issues and odd Lazer issues

Now i uses one of these
http://www.contourdesign.com/perfit-new.htm
it has a Wire and 3 buttons !!!! ( I love those Old Cad mouses )
I got a large one for the hell of it,
It's very nice mouse best i've had in a long LONG time =)

iconoclasty
06-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I'll throw my hat in- in favor of the MX1000. Best mouse I've used, I've got one at home and at the office and have even gotten most of the other guys to switch over.

I will say that the bluetooth version (that comes coupled with a keyboard) is complete crap. Logitech's bluetooth can't stay connected for more than 3 seconds.

mattclary
06-21-2007, 06:20 AM
As to wired or wireless:
At work, I use wireless. All I do is use standard office apps. At home I have a wired G5. I really don't like wireless mice for LW or games where control/precision is more important.

mattclary
06-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Here is my work mouse and my home mouse. The G5 (the blue one) has a texture akin to fine sandpaper or sharkskin. Feels really good in my hand. I really love the contour of the MX. If these mice could just have babies... Maybe some babies would get the wireless gene, some the cord... That would be great, as both serve me well under different circumstances.

IMI
06-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Well, I'm nearly a week into my 5th MX Revolution and it's still working, which is a good thing.
I sent my 4 broken Logitech meeses back to them, along with a very nast...err, not-so-nice handwritten letter.
Will let y'all know what they have to say, or do, if anything at all.

Cougar12dk
06-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Maybe some babies would get the wireless gene, some the cord... That would be great, as both serve me well under different circumstances.

Like boys and girls? Hmm, maybe they'll start breeding and we could have mouse farms, so we wouldn't have to shell out when one breaks :p

IMI
06-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Like boys and girls? Hmm, maybe they'll start breeding and we could have mouse farms, so we wouldn't have to shell out when one breaks :p

That would be nice. They could call it the MX Generation, or maybe the MX Regeneration.
Might be a whole new marketing strategy. They could market them in pairs - a little wig for Her, a set of tiny golf clubs for Him, and a prenuptial agreement that the offspring need not work. :D

Cougar12dk
06-22-2007, 01:36 PM
:lol: ;D

IMI
06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
:rock:

:)