PDA

View Full Version : Dell Lattitude 830

denders
06-16-2007, 05:20 PM
First off, Lightwave is a hobby category program and I'm learning, when real life allows time.

I have the luxury of being able to use the company computer for my personal stuff too. I don't do anything with large quantities of polygons, etc. and the Latitude 610 with an ATI card has been sufficient.

The company is looking at new notebooks and considering the Dell Latitude 830. BUT, it only comes with the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100. It makes me leary about OpenGL performance.

Thanks if you have any comments. I'm not sure where to find any benchmarks for the X3100 video. And in particular Lightwave.

Oh, yeah, it'll probably come with Vista.

Dave

denders
06-22-2007, 05:21 AM
That's kinda what I thought. And now it's available with an Nvidia card.

beverins
06-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Even though Newtek says its OK, and even ATI says they have "good drivers" Ihave yet to experience positive results with an ATI card when using Lightwave. This is with both modern cards and older cards - newest drivers and "certified" drivers. For my lab, Nvidia cards are the only way.

cresshead
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
ati have good direct x drivers but lightwave is not made for direct x viewport but only opengl...so nvidia have the upper hand as their open gl drivers are better/more stable no the whole than ati

note: 3dsmax, xsi, maya have direct x AND open gl options, lightwave relys only upon open gl

Andyjaggy
06-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I used an ATI card with LW for years and never had nay problems. Guess I got lucky.

cresshead
06-22-2007, 09:26 PM
i have a acer laptop with a ati x700 and point selection is annoying as your always 1 point behind in the display...select 1 point and nothing shows...select the second point and the frist point you selected now shows!...if you lasso select they show okay....like i said annoying...

on my mac mini [ati again] lightwave 8.5 has display issues that make using modeler unsuable....lightwave 7.5 is okay...go figure!

ALL my other pc's are nvidia and have had ZERO problems...

i'd NEVER get an ati driven pc again...

Alliante
06-23-2007, 12:12 AM
The Mobility x1600's just fine in Vista. I bet the 1300'll be fine for you :)

denders
06-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks, they now show a 256MB NVIDIAŽ Quadro NVS 140M available for the D830, just have to wait long enough. That sounds better than the Intel X3100. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what's in it when it is purchased.

Thanks again.