PDA

View Full Version : Node editor materials and buffer export

Salv8or
06-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi all,

I have a HUGE problem.
Ive made some different materials in the very nice node editor.
When a l8er on was done with all tweaking and such and wanted to render in couple of different passes, I noticed that the shadow pass and Raw rgb and some other passes come out black.

Is there a different buffer exporter that handels the new materialnodes??
If I just use the basic "surface" I get all buffers that i want, but as soon as i want to use for example a dielectric or some other material node some of the buffers i turns black... but just for that perticular surface..

HELP !!!

Bytehawk
06-16-2007, 03:08 PM
the material nodes don't output specular etc. buffers
this is due to the fact that they render using real world physics

Salv8or
06-16-2007, 03:13 PM
So if I want to switch between for example between a phong and a ambient occlusion with a material switch, I will lose the abillity to render a shadow buffer ?

I dont like it.. Is there a workaround besides having to make dubblets of the objects and render it in different scenes ?

Sensei
06-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Material is just all channels grouped in one node - diffuse shading, specular shading, reflection shading, refraction shading and transparency.. Programmer can take material and split it to basic channels like I showed in Split Material node http://www.trueart.eu
What they do depends on implementation of particular one.

Diffuse shading is color multiplied by shading from the all lights and GI + luminosity, therefor it's a one level later than simple scalar Diffuse. Similar with Specular. That's why they are not in channel exporters.

Extent
06-16-2007, 09:56 PM

Not quite in this instance. If you have anything plugged into your material input, or your diffuse shading input then the entire surface will render as pure black in your diffuse shading buffer, even if you plug in a classic material node. I assume that all the other shading buffers work the same.

There seem to be a new set of "material" render buffers that get filled instead of the standard ones if you use any of the shading or material inputs. The only way I've found to get at those buffers is with the PSD exporter.

Bytehawk
06-17-2007, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the correction. Must have been something I picked up here and interpreted in a wrong way.