PDA

View Full Version : Printing in Lightwave

Ty Catt
06-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Hey y'all,

Anyone have any pointers and or settings for optimal printing results?

Things like resolution, format's, do's or dont's?:help:

I am using version 7.5.

This is my first time actually printing my work in large format (to be printed on those trade show pull up type screens).

I would attach a thumb of the work, but it's a new product which the client doesn't want public. It's an outdoor scene, I don't know if that helps.

Thanks, guys.

Ty

tribbles
06-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I'd say ask the printers what they'd recommend.

For magazine work, I tend to do 300dpi CMYK TIFF - but for large print, you don't normally need that resolution.

Bytehawk
06-16-2007, 02:01 PM
for regular print jobs I use 350 dpi
for posters 300
for larger (and I mean really large) formats I can go as low as 50 dpi

Ty Catt
06-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey guys,

Do you mean after the image has been imported into Photoshop to keep note of the resolution?

There isn't a way of controlling the resolution in Lightwave, is there?

Maybe my question was confusing, sorry.:)

I meant are there any methods or techniques which should be used (or avoided) in the render process for optimal printing results.

Thanks!

Ty

Bytehawk
06-16-2007, 02:18 PM
well I always try to get the most out of my renders (psd layer output with all the layers I could possibly need), especially surface ID !!!!
so that if you need to tweak something there's no need te re-render everything.

Silkrooster
06-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey guys,

Do you mean after the image has been imported into Photoshop to keep note of the resolution?

There isn't a way of controlling the resolution in Lightwave, is there?

Maybe my question was confusing, sorry.:)

I meant are there any methods or techniques which should be used (or avoided) in the render process for optimal printing results.

Thanks!

Ty
Yep do the math yourself or use the print assistant(Maybe in the plugin additional list)

An 8 inch by 6 inch by 300 dpi image is:
8x300=2400 pixels by 6x300=1800 pixels. Therefore your resolution would be 2400x1800 pixels.

In photoshop cs2, you can then go to image>image size. Uncheck resample image and then set your dpi to 300 and it will now print at 8x6 inches.

Or your can in photoshop goto file>print with preview and set the width and height to 8x6 inches and you know deep down inside where it is warm and cuddly, the image will print correctly, just because you did the math.
Silk

Ty Catt
06-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Ah ha, now I see.

How about things like AA- is med. enh. enough with the res. multiplier, or enh. high with no multipliers, etc. etc.

Just curious if there are any other tried methods.

Thanks again everyone,

Tyler