PDA

View Full Version : Sigma is difficult & long time renderer

claudioarchi
06-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Hello there i've been fooling around with the new materials in LW 9.2 and i found that diaelectric and conductor are very easy to play with. BUT SIGMA HOOO my god this is really a pain in the .... for me. Firts it takes an eternity to render and then it does not look right, i'm looking for a waxlike material. Can any body share some settigns, so i can study them and see if i can get something good.

Thank you :thumbsup:

pooby
06-16-2007, 11:12 AM
try simple skin.. it's easier to get wax

Matt
06-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I feel your pain claudioarchi, every time I've messed with it I can never get results anything like the examples I've seen in NT's 9.2 gallery.

I agree, it takes AGES to render, only to find it looks nothing like you want. And because of how it renders, you HAVE to wait until it's finished!

I have given up on it now! Maybe when some better documentation of what the controls do and HOW they affect the material come out, I might have another go.

Thanks Pooby, I'll try that!

claudioarchi
06-16-2007, 01:18 PM
OUF!!!! at least is not just me, i guess i will figure it out some day but for now i gave up!!!!.

Thanks pooby i'll try that

thak you all

see ya:sleeping:

alifx
06-16-2007, 02:28 PM
for the Sigma ... put a light near the wax object... change the specular and roughness values as you want and turn down the translucency a bit then play with the distance until you get the best sss effect.

or as pooby said use Simple Skin it's really simple and better to achieve sss with it :)

jasonwestmas
06-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Try making a brighter backlighting than a front lighting for SSS surfaces. You'll see the effect much better.

Lexxiam
06-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Sigma used for plastic surfaces :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
06-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I still think sigma is the best for rubber, plastic and wax.

Matt
06-19-2007, 04:19 PM
This may be useful to some:

Video Tutorial: Exploring the Sigma SSS Node Shader
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70038

pooby
06-20-2007, 02:29 AM
This might help.. It shows some simple skin settings for wax.. I only spent about 2 mins on it so that should demonstrate how simple it is.

Matt
06-20-2007, 02:55 AM
Nice! (adds to node info archive)

We need to start putting togther a pack of saved surface files.

claudioarchi
06-20-2007, 08:24 AM
This might help.. It shows some simple skin settings for wax.. I only spent about 2 mins on it so that should demonstrate how simple it is.

Hey Pooby thank you very much i'll try that...

i agree with you matt

Guys, you are a big help for all of us....

:thumbsup: