PDA

View Full Version : Slow PC / crackling sound when accessing DVD drive

Matt
06-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Can anyone shed some light on why my PC, which should be no slouch, slows to a crawl when copying files from DVD? I mean, it really slows down, even the mouse pointer jerks about!

The other problem I discovered while playing some music in iTunes (also does it with any other music player). I was installing some software from DVD and every time it accessed the drive, the sound would crackle and sound awful.

Is it just time for a new DVD drive or is this something more sinister?

The file copy performance could be just the fact that Windows is CRAP at copying files elegantly, even with a Quad Core processor it slows down a bit when copying from HD to HD.

Would be good if there was something to try and remedy this!

Cheers
Matt

Jim_C
06-16-2007, 08:59 AM
It may be a dma/pio mode confliction.
Basically you want DMA if possible.

Follow the steps at the bottom of this link to switch to the other mode.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Also check cabling is nice and tight. (Kinda obvious on that one)

Matt
06-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Tried that, all in 'DMA if Available'. Still get the sound issue. :(

TheDynamo
06-19-2007, 11:51 AM
I had that problem as well. On top of that it took almost an hour to burn a single layer DVD (about 3 gigs). I finally got fed up and bought a SATA DVD Drive (Lightscribe) for $50. The problem is gone now. I would guess it would be whatever driver is running your ATA controller is misconfigured. I've got a MSI board that I had to RMA because of some USB issues as well as it displaying some weird need to restart 3 times before booting when first turned on. Hopefully it'll come back good, otherwise I'll probably have to upgrade to Vista... EEK!

-Dyn

Matt
06-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I ended up buying a Pioneer DVR-112 (IDE) which works fine, so I've ordered another to replace the Pioneer DVR-107D I had before.

Gonna test the new one as the 'Master' in the IDE chain, although it's a bit late if exhibits the same behaviour as the old one, I've ordered it already!

I went IDE because I wanna keep my SATA slots free for hard drives, the next thing on the list!