PDA

View Full Version : Using Gradient Backgrounds

DistanceEd
02-20-2003, 03:25 PM
I am using the Toaster CG in order to make a credits page for opens and closes to my educational media productions. I am running across at least one problem. First, when I try to use a gradient background, you can actually see where the levels of color begin to change. In other words, the gradient is not smooth. On top of that, when we output to AVI and then convert it to mpeg and rm those lines become even more pronounced. My question is, how do I get a clean, smooth gradient using ToasterCG?

Faraz
02-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Have you tried using BG generator, you could capture a frame of that and then import that as an image into Toaster CG. That could help narrow down your problem.

DistanceEd
02-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Faraz, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have tried using the BG generator and I still get the same effects. Especially when I view the avi file externally from the toaster.

Faraz
02-25-2003, 05:41 PM
Are you capturing your gradiant as an RTV?

RomainR
02-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Here is an alternative I often use to make gradient BKG.

In Ted I take two solid colors and use a soft edge wipe to go from one to the other.

I then scrub the position bar to the spot I like the gradient and then hit the c key on the keyboard to cut. The delete all that is preceeding. Grab a hold still filter and align it, extend it so that it has the desired length and then consolidate all that into a subproject. Now all that is needed is to place the overlay text or render out one frame to an RTV still and import to ToasterCG.

Just a thought.

DistanceEd
02-26-2003, 02:55 PM
Faraz,

No, I am not capturing it as an RTV because I need to use the produced piece in an environment external of the T[2]. For our purposes, we capture in uncompressed UYVY. Then, we convert the avi file to MPEG and RM. The problem, however, seems to be native inside the toaster.
I have attached a file that illustrates the problem I am having. This jpg is an image I captrured in Aura of the avi file. For this file, I used the BK Generator that you suggested earlier. Unfortunately, I am getting the same results.
Any other suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Lara
02-26-2003, 05:09 PM
This image is what your uncompressed AVI looks like?
:(

Faraz
02-26-2003, 05:45 PM
Try exporting a file format with less compression... Or JPEG with less compression.

DistanceEd
02-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Yes, Paul. This is what it looks like. Is there perhaps a setting that would be under preferences that may be the cause of this problem?

Paul Lara
02-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by DistanceEd
Is there perhaps a setting that would be under preferences that may be the cause of this problem?

Are you seeing the same thing on your NTSC monitor?
Do you have your graphics card set for 32-bit color depth?