PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Type 21 U- Boat

Elmar Moelzer
02-08-2003, 03:40 AM
Hello
Here is a pic from an upcoming animation I am working on right now.
C&C welcome, also does anyone have an idea on how to make the foam more 3-dimensional (right now it looks to much like maped). Thanks!
http://www.mediastudio-graz.com/images/pic1c.jpg
CU
Elmar

A note to the admins: it would be great to get notification on allowed image- size etc during previewing the post not when submitting it, thanks

Fabio
02-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Could you not try using a procedural as a bumpmap for the foam? Maybe with a gradient to control the falloff?

Aquaman
02-08-2003, 06:43 AM
Woa! this is nice. I love the mood and feel. It's very fitting for a wwII sub at sea.

Elmar Moelzer
02-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Hey Fabio, a bump- map would not be that much of a problem to do, but I meant more like real 3d- foam. I thought about particles and HVs but it did not quite work out, becasue I jsut dont get it how to tell the particles where to spray and where not (so it fits the textured foam).
Thanks Aquaman
CU
Elmar

WilliamVaughan
02-08-2003, 07:58 AM
send that into the LW gallery when u are finished....looks great!

RiGLEY
02-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Very realistic i think it looks cool, but where the water touches the metal, it could be more detailed i think.

Memz
02-08-2003, 08:26 AM
This looks very good!! I would give a go to what Fabio says because it sounds like it would work great. Hope it comes out for you!! Good work.

Cozfx
02-08-2003, 07:20 PM
You could try putting in sheets of particle rain to obscure the surface. Its got a nice feel now. I think the water flowing onto the surface of the sub would create some kind of specularity flow also. Let us know if you get it worked out.

-Coz

novadesigns
02-08-2003, 10:42 PM
That's pretty sweet! the horizon looks a little close to me though.

The Great Raja
02-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Very nice Dude, Look whicked.

lone
02-09-2003, 07:15 AM
elmar, that is so cool. the B&W treatment really does the trick.

philip
02-10-2003, 05:01 AM
ahh, nice. the ocean looks familiar :D

for the foam you could try and use a clone of the ocean mesh, move it slightly beneith the original one and add a diplacement just for the foam... that should do the trick.

let me know how this works for you :)

Alec Trevelyan
02-10-2003, 10:39 AM
looks really good! just needs more foaminess on the water is all;)

paintboy
02-10-2003, 11:02 AM
nice job...although i think i am gettin a bit seasick:p

Elmar Moelzer
02-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Hey Everyone

Philip, yeah it is loosely (rather) based on your tutorial, but I changed quite a few things about it (especially for the color- textures as you might have noticed). I have tried what you suggested already, but it did not look that great. I got the best results from using a clone of the ocean with all polys killed and rendering one- point- poly with clipmaps for the foam. It looked pretty nice coseup, but it got rendering errors in the distance When the points started to come too close together they produced color- errors, becuase they dont shrink with distance, which is something I have understood NT did not implement. Well we will possibly do a plugin for that. Until then I will try some other solutions...
I also tried with HVs but they seem to have a bug not allowing for more than 65k- points (exactly the Integer- value) without crashing or not rendering, oh well...
CU
Elmar

Flak
02-11-2003, 01:34 AM
yes very nice.

the only observations i have (to reiterate) is the dry looking hull for such unruly waves...

that and the turrets bother me because they lack rivets making them look too rounded. The rest of the hull you can get away without adding that much detail because the whole boat is weathered and being rained on anyway.

Elmar Moelzer
02-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Hmm what do you mean by rivets?
The turrets were very rounded on that type of boat...
In fact it was the first submarine- type to use very streamlined shapes, enabling it to go faster underwater (about 17 knots) than over water.
I have used original plans and photographs to get as close as possible, but unfortunately some details are hard to make out on either, so I had to do some guess work too...
CU
Elmar

DaBo
02-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Yeah Elmar :)

Abtauchen, sofort ABTAUCHEN!!!! :D

hehe..cya.

Ralph Keyser
02-11-2003, 12:59 PM
If I recall correctly, the turrets on the Type 21 were cast in order to get the streamlined shape. That might result in a rougher texture than what you have now, but I don't think there were any rivets on them.

Only a few of the 21s ever got into action, but both the Soviet Whiskey class and French Narvel class subs were nearly direct copies of the design.

The point I noticed was the lack of interaction at the waterline. Maybe that's what you were trying to fix with the foam.

Elmar Moelzer
02-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Hello Ralph
Yepp, that is all true, but the turrets were pretty smooth, possibly polished afterwards or something.
Despite the Whiskey class it was also the Romeo and Foxtrott classes as well as the Golf- class, that used the very same design (but without reaching the speed of the riginal, which is weird).
The US- navy had the Tang- class, which was very simillar as well, even the famous Nautilus was in some parts very simillar in design. Other than that they modified their Gato- class (Guppy) using many of the lessons learned from the Type 21
Other navies also had boats with simillar design or adapted their older boats like the US- navy did with the Gato.
It needed quite a while until the next revolution was braught by the Albacore (air- ship- like hull- shape).
The design was so great and the boats were so well done that the german navy was able to salvage one of these boats 12 years after it was sunk by its own crew and they used it as a test- boat under the name of "Wilhelm Bauer" until 1980. Now it is on display in Bremen.
You are also right when you say that there is a lack of interaction with the waterline and this is my main problem. I have little idea on how to make it realistic wihtout getting inacceptible particle- calculation- times. The problem is that this has to be animateable. Any ideas?
CU
Elmar