PDA

View Full Version : Ingest your footage and Edit at the same time!

pox
06-15-2007, 11:11 PM
If your PC has the power, you can start editing with the auto chopped clips before your tape is even done. Be hold the power of Speed Edit!:D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but speed edit doesn't fully decode the Mpeg stream from HDV when ingesting footage. So the CPU over head is very low. So if you got a few CPU cores to spare and speedy hard drive the sky is the limit.

bbeanan
06-16-2007, 09:29 AM
You know just because you can do something does not mean you should...

You may end up dropping a frame...

pox
06-16-2007, 05:26 PM
True, :agree: my Core 2 Duo laptop system does drop frames when doing both and muti-layer HDV editing. But my Desktop a 2 dual core xeons hasn't droped any frames yet. I think it might have more to do with the slower bus speed or Hard Drives then the CPU of the laptop system.

Jim_C
06-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Ive been doing that(captue & edit) with VT and analog to DV/RTV/NT25 capture for awhile.

The trick is to try and capture to a separate drive than you are working off of.

Older dual xeon equipment, regular SD stuff. But I have always been amazed at how much other work you can do in VT while it is capturing.

John Perkins
06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
That's one of those features we tend to take for granted I think.:D

I do it all the time during testing and it should be perfectly fine as long as you have enough computer to handle it. At worst you will get a dropped frames message in the capture window and have to recapture the clip, but we buffer a LOT of video before writing so even that should be rare.

Thanks for reminding me about that!:thumbsup:

Another cool thing is that you can start a render and change the project, capture or even start another new project without harming the render.

Oh, and you can render to multiple formats at once.

PeakAction
10-26-2007, 11:14 AM
This is cool. Now I know enough about the multitasking power of SE to get myself into some real trouble! :compbeati