PDA

View Full Version : Density of shadows

sbloomberg
06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Hello all.

Is it possible to only change the density of the shadow a light casts? I have a spotlight with raytrace shadows and it seems a little dark to me. I've increased the ambiant light as much as I dare and it helped a little. I would love to use area lights and radiosity which I know will solve the problem but the render times would be huge.

I've looked in all the books I have and can't seem to find any info. Of course I could be blind. It has happened before.

Thanks.

-Steve

thomasdrucker
06-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi,
one trick is to duplicate the light and turn off shadowcasting for the new light. Now you can adjust the strength of the shadow by playing with the intensity settings (for ex. setting them both to 50% would cast "half a shadow")

Thomas

Scazzino
06-15-2007, 09:55 PM
You can also set the shadow color to match the light color and then just adjust the value of the shadow color to determine the shadow density.

See page 56 of the LW9 Layout manual for more info...

Mr Maze
06-18-2007, 04:40 PM
You could also just use another spotlight as a fill light with no raytraced shadows.

toby
06-18-2007, 06:48 PM
You could also just use another spotlight as a fill light with no raytraced shadows.
He's right, start with the standard 3-point light setup, you can find lots of info on that.

BazC
06-19-2007, 01:19 AM
This an option I'd like to see added. I used to adjust shadow transparency all the time in C4d, it's a really useful option!

toby
06-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Is that any different from just brightening the shadow?

BazC
06-19-2007, 07:34 AM
You know now you come to ask I'm not so sure! When I first moved over from C4d to LW I know I really missed that option. I've just been back to compare the two apps though and it really doesn't make that much difference.

So forget I said anything lol!:foreheads

sbloomberg
06-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Thank you all for your help. The shadow looks a lot better. I ended up cloning the key light and turning off shadow casting.

I guess I was looking for a slider or something similar in the individual light properties menu. My knowlage of Studio Max is again rearing it's ugly polygonal head. I may have to partition my brain to keep Lightwave and Max seperate.:D

Thanks

toby
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
I case you didn't know, all you need to do is right-click on any color swatch and drag left-right to change the brightness - just like a slider - very handy