PDA

View Full Version : VT3 -> Final Cut

sherbet72
06-15-2007, 05:25 AM
I was wondering if anyone could help...

at the company i work we need to transfer a long running edit with sound over to our final cut pro machine, but we need to keep everything intact, does anyone know a way of doing this?

its an digital animation so no tapes or anything were used, i just wondered if there was some way we could save the file in a EDL like format that the final cut pro machine could read, and then re-associate all the file pathways.

any help would be great, even if its to say it can't be done!

richard dyson

wvp
06-15-2007, 07:32 AM
If you want to keep the entire timeline (all clips, etc) so you can make any changes you want - I am not aware of a way to do this.
The two systems do not talk to each other. You can copy all the media to an external hard drive to move it over but you will need to re-create your edits. Filters, titles,etc would not be readable. In fact some media files on the FCP may not readable (FC likes Quicktime, VT avi, among others).
Best bet would be to edit on the VT and then import a rendered clip of the edit into FCP. In the future (I assume you are using lightwave) you could do the lightwave then export the files and load them into FCP at the start.
This is why I hate having FCP & VT4 - we are moving away from it but cross platform is not easy!