PDA

View Full Version : Making Object Disappear

kiwi dave
06-14-2007, 06:19 PM
I am animating a pacman creature following a path and eating text as he goes. How can I make the text disappear once he has eaten it? At the moment it is simply going through him.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

SplineGod
06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
clip maps, morphs etc. :)

THREEL
06-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi Dave,

Maybe your pacman is text intolerant. :D;)

Actually, if each character of text is individual geometry, maybe you could just do a 100% dissolve at each frame that your pacman character gobbles up each letter.

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

kiwi dave
06-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the tips Larry and Threel.

The text is one long line, so I can have individual letters fading out.

I have tried using a clip map, but I can't get it working properly. I created a null, and then used a clip map on the type using a gradient with a X distance to the null. However the falloff is on both X axis so the type vanishes and then appears again.

Is there a way to have the type visible on the positive X axis, and then invisible on the negative X axis when the null passes?

Beau_M
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
The easiest way I've found of doing something like this (although probably not what others would recommend, but it works for me anyway), is just to simply keyframe where each letter will be 'eaten', and just move it out of camera view on the next frame. Make sure each channel is set to linear in the graph editor or things might start moving oddly.

Tyler007
06-19-2007, 01:57 PM
You can use dynamics to do this also. Donít add any gravity and give the text no weight and use a box to grab the text. You may not need to take away the weight but it worked 1st time for me.

Tyler007
06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Scene files for the test I did. :lwicon:

Tyler007
06-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Make sure the text is in parts mode in the dynamics properties. That way you can just make one object to be chomped.

kiwi dave
06-23-2007, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the help Tyler007, and thanks for the demo.

Will give it a go on my project and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Dave

3DGFXStudios
06-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi kiwi dave. I think using a clipmap is a lot easier and also a lot quicker than using dynamics. I used a clipmap and a set driven key connected to the texture placement. Just check it out.

cheers!!

Qexit
06-23-2007, 10:18 AM
A very long time ago, Mark Dunakin produced a tutorial dealing with this sort of problem. He hasn't updated for a long time but the pricipals covered in it should still be applicable:

http://www.md-arts.com/tutorials.htm

Just scroll down to the botom of the page to the T-Rex tutorial :thumbsup: