PDA

View Full Version : VT4 Sound issues

inspt
06-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I have the SX-84 BOB and the VT4.6 card(s). I have been struggling to configure the sound to work with the VT4 card. I only hear a humming sound from the sub-woofer when I connect the output channel to the input channel on my sub-woofer. I have 4 speakers and one subwoofer. Each of the 4 speakers only have one RCA female connector while the subwoofer has 4 connectors. 2 for input (L&R) and the other 2 for output (L&R). Connection to the subwoofer only brings a humming sound but no sound is coming out of any of the other four (2 front & 2 back) speakers.

This is becoming frustrating. Any tips or help if you have exprienced something similar will be appreciated.

CreatvGnius
06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
I have the SX-84 BOB and the VT4.6 card(s). I have been struggling to configure the sound to work with the VT4 card. I only hear a humming sound from the sub-woofer when I connect the output channel to the input channel on my sub-woofer. I have 4 speakers and one subwoofer. Each of the 4 speakers only have one RCA female connector while the subwoofer has 4 connectors. 2 for input (L&R) and the other 2 for output (L&R). Connection to the subwoofer only brings a humming sound but no sound is coming out of any of the other four (2 front & 2 back) speakers.

This is becoming frustrating. Any tips or help if you have exprienced something similar will be appreciated.

Ah! You apparently didn't pay attention to that all-important "NOTE" call-out, at the close of the very first paragraph, in the VT[4] user manual on page 1.8 where you are instructed to leave those 1/8-inch audio input and output jacks unused, if you're employing an SX-84.

Come to think of it: why wouldn't you want to have connected your speaker system to the SX-84, besides? You *did* purchase that for connecting external gear, no? :D

Moreover, it is unclear just what type connectors you've got on your subwoofer and satellite speakers. You weren't detailed enough: Are they the red and white colored RCA type "phono" jacks?

If your straight-to-the-point answer regarding the above is "yes", then those RCA-style stereo AUDIO INPUTS on the subwoofer would do just fine, if they were connected either to SX-84's ...

AUDIO OUT jacks in any of the pairs that's on output row 3 thru 8 (e.g., connect Subwoofer's AUDIO INPUT to SX-84's AUDIO OUTPUT on Row 3)...or..
PA OUTPUT jacks... or
AUDIO SEND jacks

Whilst I personally would recommend you choose one of the pair that's on Row 3 thru 8, for feeding a signal to the subwoofer (again, assuming it accepts this low-level signal, and *not* rather, a high-level signal from the amplifier stage of a surround sound receiver or integrated amplifier)...

... I must insist that you not only refer to your VT[4] manual's section on page 1.8, but that you also read again, the documentation that shipped with your speaker system, as this will be critical in giving you the appropriate info you need, for 4-channel (surround sound) capability with your wonderful, new Vt[4] Pro system.

Welcome "Insp", to the community, and remember, always pay strict attention to details of any documentation, regardless of advice you may receive from folks, either via the telephone, or even via this venue! :thumbsup:

CreatvGnius
06-22-2007, 07:03 AM

This is becoming frustrating. Any tips or help if you have experienced something similar will be appreciated.

For those who may have otherwise been inclined to REPLY to "Inspt". do know that not only had he *not* had his audio system wired just as he reported above, by the time I answered his post -- but more significantly, I discovered that he's using an NEC surround speaker system, comprising of a subwoofer, 4 proprietary satellite speakers, a cabling harness "card" that connects to a "PC drive bay audio preamp/processor" -- overall, a very proprietary audio system, which ought not be "broken apart" from its sound card.

Hence, if he cannot find a way to run stereo audio from the SX-84, directly into the preamp of this unusual system (say, via the front-mounted "drive bay preamplifer", through a stereo mini-jack or RCA input thereupon), it would appear that he's not having trouble with his new VT system at all; Rather, he may need to purchase a speaker system for monitoring purposes, or employ an amplifier and loudspeaker combo.

Just thought it good to bring "lurkers" up to speed on the situation. :thumbsup:

jsanfilippo
06-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Peter,

I could be reading wrong... which is easy when reading a post or email, as their is no facial expression, tone, etc. to help set context....

But your two responses to "inspt", while to the point, sound rather judgemental and derogitory of our new friend's system and his lack of understanding of the proper setup. That type of response is VERY uncharacteristic of the spirit of this forum.

I have always appreciated the extremely helpful, and generous, spirit of this user community since I joined several years ago.

If I misread you, perhaps our new friend has too and has been put off. I know that I, for one, didn't read the manual word for word. I doubt that many of us have. And I know that it's easy to plug sometime into the SX-84 incorrectly while first learning the system. That's why this forum is so helpful.

Just a caution. :)

CreatvGnius
06-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Peter,

I could be reading wrong... which is easy when reading a post or email, as their is no facial expression, tone, etc. to help set context....

But your two responses to "inspt", while to the point, sound rather judgemental and derogitory of our new friend's system and his lack of understanding of the proper setup.

Thanks, jsanfilippo -- you indeed grossly mis-interpreted the tone of my post. In fact, inspt and I are good friends (I in influenced his purchase decision toward VT[5] Live!

If anything, I did not judge him, but rather cautioned him on the need to pay attention to those call-outs in the manual (those marginal graphics which call attention to important information), else, our overlooking those (most especially in the "INTRODUCTION/INSTALLATION" chapter, will potentially leave us with frustration, not unlike the kind our new community member has experienced.

I've spent time with him via telephone, to help remedy his situation; and in fact, he has relayed to me more than 5 times, now, that he feels disinfranchised in terms of support for this very audio problem, claiming he has gotten no responses to his Emails, let alone to his post (until I finally chimed in).

Worse -- just today, he expressed increased frustration over the fact that still, no one seems interested in helping him, besides myself, as evidenced in his mind at least -- by the fact that still, no one other than this writer has so much as even posted a message inquiring of him, more specifics, relative to his audio problem.

While he now believes this community is not worth his involvement, you can be sure I am committed to maintaining due diligence in coaching him along.

Now, as for my passionate appeal to the need to read the manual's attention-grabbing "call-outs" -- and that, relating most especially to the early chapters on VT Installation and SX-84 (for "Input/Output" configuration issues), I cannot at all back down from stressing the importance of same, while I do regret your not having posted me privately, about your misinterpretation of this most important issue for such a complex system as VT[5] is.

At the end of the day, let's not be so quick to read a negative connotation into anyone's post -- (wrongly accusing them of expecting people to read the manual "word for word") -- and especially if they've gone through the trouble of providing utterly helpful information and in easy-to-grasp detail, for the benefit of him who posted the plea for assistance.

Also, let's have a greater compassion for to become more diligent so as to position ourselves more strategically, so that the frustration level would be all the more minimized for any newcomer here, who happens to have newly purchased such a grandiose system as VT[x] Live -- as the overall lack of response to his query until yesterday, was utterly outside the spirit of this forum. Just a caution. And One final thing. I almost always use emoticons. Go back and take another look, my friend.
-PeterG

Jim_C
06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
P
Just a caution. :)

C'mon now Jamie. Can't you read his self imposed title?

:twak:

jsanfilippo
06-22-2007, 09:15 PM
My thoughts exactly, Jim.
:thumbsdow
Please note my use of emoticons. I guess that makes even the worst litany of rudeness and self-righteousness a-ok.

CreatvGnius
06-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Jim C: "C'mon now Jamie. Can't you read his self imposed title?"

My thoughts exactly, Jim.
:thumbsdow
Please note my use of emoticons. I guess that makes even the worst litany of rudeness and self-righteousness a-ok.

Ah, but you've both got it wrong. My title isn't self-imposed at all! "PeterG" was given me at childbirth, and as for the "username" -- well, that's borrowed from what's been imputed to me by our Designer, and affirmed by those who know me personally.

All of jsanfilippo's false-humility and hypocrisies with gross judgmental, and false conclusions aside, it's good to know that the thread starter has finally had his issue "resolved", stemming from a follow-up phone conversation. Indeed, what was needed was a connection between SX-84's audio output, and the NEC audio system's stereo audio input. Now *that*'s the spirit of this forum! :thumbsup: