PDA

View Full Version : problem with importing EPS file



cscardinal
06-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi all.

I imported a fairly complex EPS file to make into a 3D logo. I did the standard "place EPS in one layer and a box in another and then drill" operation.

My machine just gives me the spinning beach ball of doom and I need to force quit LW.

Any ideas? The file in question is attached. I'm running LW 9 on a G5 under OSX 10.4.9, dual 2GHZ w/3.5GB RAM..

Thanks

Chris

Bytehawk
06-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I looked at the logo, it seems to be missing part of the text

cscardinal
06-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Yep, I have a targa file to surface the model with later. I need to cut the box with the imported EPS file, and then all will be well.

I usually extrude the result and then round the edges and surface as needed.

Thanks

Chris

PS-I've added the surface file.

cscardinal
06-14-2007, 03:36 PM
If you could get this EPS layer to cut out the box I would be ecstatic.

Thanks

Chris

Bytehawk
06-14-2007, 04:03 PM
no way you're going to be able to bevel that without some serious editing.

this conversion is just too rough.

I'd isolate the background from the actual model and use a simple transparency or clip map on that.

then for the foreground elements do the conversion. (the letters and the bike - not seen in this model)

cscardinal
06-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Were you able to cut out the grey box only object? Did it crash your machine as well? I am wondering if it is a Mac thing.

Thanks

C.

Bytehawk
06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
no luck here either. The model is just too complex to do this in one go. There must be a better route to take to get where you want. The killer is that irregular background. maybe try importing that with a coarser level of detail?

Matt
06-14-2007, 06:38 PM
I traced and simplified your logo a little in Illustrator to try and reduce the number of points, but Boolean still choked.

So I took a different route. I separated each colour element of the logo and imported with Auto Axis Drill on, which worked. Then I made a 'back-plate' for the grey area to make it look like it look like it was cut out.

Had to separate and split the front surface of the grey due to the number of points to remove the shading errors that occur with too many points in a single polygon.

I put a grainy spark texture on the inside of the cut out to make it stand out a little, but that's just me messing about!

Here are the scene files. Also included the cleaned up Illustrator logo.

Hope that helps!

:D

cscardinal
06-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for all your work! I ended up simplifying it in Photoshop and then using "make paths" command. Similar efforts, but I think your version has a better ragged edge.

C.

Matt
06-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Glad you got it working!