PDA

View Full Version : Chance of success w/LW9.2UB

dankayaker
06-14-2007, 09:59 AM
I have a project I need to do in LW in the next month. I sold my G5 about 6-8 months ago because all the talk of the UB LW coming soon. Now, I need to buy a machine (thinking the Dual 2.66 MacPro). What are my chances of the Beta (9.2 ?) working right for me ?

I registerd for the Beta but have not downloaded yet.

monovich
06-14-2007, 03:09 PM
you could always boot into windows on your mac until the UB comes out.

wesball
06-15-2007, 03:13 AM
Not sure what the LW-UB NDA has to do with your question, but...

I've had a 3Gz quad mac pro for quite some time now, and I do all my LW work in windows with Boot Camp.

Not that it's ideal, but the process of jumping over to Windows using Boot Camp hasn't been horrible at all. Just get an extra drive in your system to put Windows on. Makes things easier in your head. :) And get MacDrive to write and read from your HFS+ drive while in windows.

And one more thing... I still use the PPC LW version in OSX. It's definately a lot slower, but for "light" work... no big deal.

dankayaker
06-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Why do you start a new topic fishing for info, when you've already been told in the Mac forum, a few hours earlier, that the Open Beta of the UB is under NDA.

You already asked here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69909) and got the only answer you can get outside the beta forum.

I thought this was the Beta discussion section . . .is it not ? I registered for the Beta but have not downloaded it yet. What's with all the secrecy ? What's with your attitude ? Don't read my posts if it bothers you so much. I'm looking for solid information.

dankayaker
06-18-2007, 07:22 AM
Not sure what the LW-UB NDA has to do with your question, but...

I've had a 3Gz quad mac pro for quite some time now, and I do all my LW work in windows with Boot Camp.

Not that it's ideal, but the process of jumping over to Windows using Boot Camp hasn't been horrible at all. Just get an extra drive in your system to put Windows on. Makes things easier in your head. :) And get MacDrive to write and read from your HFS+ drive while in windows.

And one more thing... I still use the PPC LW version in OSX. It's definately a lot slower, but for "light" work... no big deal.

Thanks Wesball,

I don't really have heavy work, just doing basic rotations and pushes on an already built model (pretty big poly count though). My heavy lifting will be done in After Effects. I'm trying to keep the process uncomplicted since the work is complicated enough (in AE at least). Had I known the UB would take this long I would have never sold my G5 . . . LW9 was rock solid on it.

dankayaker
06-18-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm sorry you have a problem with my 'tude. but if you registered for the beta, I'd advise you to remember what you read in the NDA regarding the UB.

The UB cannot be discussed in detail outside the Open Beta forum. So asking for people to break the NDA in multiple places outside the beta forum isn't doing you much good.

If you are registered for the Open Beta program, you will find the forums at the bottom of the main forum index. There's a seperate section for the Mac UB version.

Perhaps my registration didn't take because I see no link to a Mac UB forum.
I didn't think asking if the Beta worked involved a detailed discussion.

BazC
06-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Perhaps my registration didn't take because I see no link to a Mac UB forum.
I didn't think asking if the Beta worked involved a detailed discussion.

Neverko is right, your question doesn't break the NDA but any meaningful answer would. If I told you "The UB is great but don't try using Hypervoxels if you're wearing a red shirt because it will crash" I would be breaking NDA.

Your best bet is to download the beta and try it. If you can't see the beta forums after a few days contact site admin to correct the situation (you have to be signed in obviously!) If you can download the betas your registration worked and you should have access to the beta forums.

Activator
06-19-2007, 09:21 AM
dankayaker-

The reality is that the NON-UB version of LW 9.2 running under Rosetta works just as fast, if not a little faster, on the Dual 2.66 MacPro as it did on my Dual 2.5 G5. In other words, you won't see any slower performance than you had on your G5.

The LW 9.2 UB works as advertised (It's lightning fast!) but I can't use it in daily production until the major LW plugins are re-compiled in UB. ie: most 3rd Party plugins will not run in the "UB" LW 9.2, but they WILL run just as they always did in the "non-UB" LW 9.2.

Hopefully this answers your question!

dankayaker
06-19-2007, 12:50 PM
dankayaker-

The reality is that the NON-UB version of LW 9.2 running under Rosetta works just as fast, if not a little faster, on the Dual 2.66 MacPro as it did on my Dual 2.5 G5. In other words, you won't see any slower performance than you had on your G5.

The LW 9.2 UB works as advertised (It's lightning fast!) but I can't use it in daily production until the major LW plugins are re-compiled in UB. ie: most 3rd Party plugins will not run in the "UB" LW 9.2, but they WILL run just as they always did in the "non-UB" LW 9.2.

Hopefully this answers your question!

bless you my friend . . . . .that's all I want right now. I'll switch to UB when it comes out.
thanks