PDA

View Full Version : Render Farm - Linux based servers

Le Moj
06-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey guys, 2 things to ask for a render farm our work is setting up.

What software is best to use for 4 linux based dual processor servers in a windows lightwave 9 and combustion working environment? I checked out Deadline, but its windows based servers.

Also, the best hardware set up for the servers...would it be best for the servers stored above an office, in the office, or in a seperate room with all the other servers?

Dexter2999
06-14-2007, 09:32 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66836

I'd say put it in the room with the other servers. The server room should be kept a good temp to keep them stable and it keeps the noise out of your office.

kmacphail
06-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Qube is a great controller that runs on Linux, Windows and OSX.

It will work with anything that can run from the command line, but if I was to use it with Lightwave I would write my own plugin for the inteface.

SGE and drqueue are other options. They're both open source software, and therefore free, but there's no one to call when things go wrong. I've not used them, so I can't comment as to hard hard or easy they are to use.

How many servers are you talking about? Any more than a couple and I'd be putting them in another room just for noise alone, not to mention cooling and security. If you plan to grow you may be looking at a small datacenter setup.

-Kevin
[email protected]

Stingslang
06-21-2007, 09:32 PM
can one run screamernet nodes on linux?

Phil
06-22-2007, 02:33 AM
Yes, with Wine. It's actually quite easy, with the only awkwardness coming from the handling of the fileservers under linux. You install Wine and fire it up. It will create a .wine folder in your home directory. You then copy over the necessary files to run LWSN (e.g. plugins, etc.) to ~/.wine/drive_c/ based on whether you want to run it locally, and whether you want content on the nodes or pulled over the network.

You then need to mount your Windows file shares. This requires, usually, some terminal voodoo for manual mounting:

mount -t cifs -o (options) \\IP\share /mnt/mountpoint

options will be many of user=, password=, group=, uid=, gid=
IP and share are the IP address of the file server and the share name.
mountpoint is an existing directory under /mnt/

You can then symlink this to a drive under ~/.wine/dosdevices and use this with LWSN to get the content, etc. paths set up - the same as you would under Windows.

For automounting these fileshares, it gets slightly more complicated if your nodes are visible to an external network. Usually, for a local mount, you'd simply shove everything into /etc/fstab, but for security, this is not recommended for network shares. It is more effective to write or modify an init script to handle this on a machine-level, or have a line in your user's login script to do this just for a given user.