PDA

View Full Version : Global materials adjusting

LAV
06-13-2007, 03:16 PM
It's a weird idea I falled in today, when I tried to make a distant mountain with a forest on its sides. Every change I did on the color saturation of the mountain (to obtain the 'azure shift' related to distance) I had to set the same effect on every object around.

I admit that there are several easy ways to obtain that effect in LW now.

But I'd like to join a lot of objects together and tune their saturation, for example. Or their glossyness, or their Red amount, for example. In the (nodal) surface editor.

What is your opinion?

Bytehawk
06-13-2007, 03:55 PM
you could do it using an envelope, but then you would have to take all the color info from separate nodes.

like so :

LAV
06-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Hummm! It's a clever nodal trick! I'm not very expert in nodal management (not expert in nodal at all :)
But what I meant is a more automatic way to change values for 'joined' object.
Let's imagine: we graphically link objects in classes or 'families', then we act on a slider (or similar) and change saturation, hue, bump, or whatever surface setting you want. All togheter. A way to operate as you'd make postprocess in scene and on 3d geometry.
???

SplineGod
06-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Or use the standard surfacing. You can multiselect surfaces and change their attributes at the same time.

LAV
06-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Or use the standard surfacing. You can multiselect surfaces and change their attributes at the same time.
This is a thing I never imagined. I'll try.
But I don't want to change a single surface of several objects. Let's imagine a tree. It has a 'leaves' surface and a 'bark' one at least. We have three or four different trees in the bunch, 6-8 surfaces. Let's imagine I have to change the appearance of the whole group, mantaining unchanged the relationship amongst objects in the group. I wish to increase the red amount of the group surfaces (leaves+barks), for example...
Anyway it's a very recent idea! Now I try to investigate if LW let me work with standard instruments.
Thanks for your suggestions

LAV
06-13-2007, 05:09 PM
This is a thing I never imagined. I'll try.
But I don't want to change a single surface of several objects. Let's imagine a tree. It has a 'leaves' surface and a 'bark' one at least. We have three or four different trees in the bunch, 6-8 surfaces. Let's imagine I have to change the appearance of the whole group, mantaining unchanged the relationship amongst objects in the group. I wish to increase the red amount of the group surfaces (leaves+barks), for example...
Anyway it's a very recent idea! Now I try to investigate if LW let me work with standard instruments.
Thanks for your suggestions

LAV
06-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry for the error in editing the msg...

Bytehawk
06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
if you have multiple instances of objects you can use
objectid node :
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=407545&postcount=13

this scene has one object, cloned twice

danielkaiser
06-16-2007, 05:30 PM
To achieve the desaturated effect your talking about I've always used the fog option to get that rarefied lighting effect, it reduces the saturation, contrast and detail of objects the farther away from the camera they get. good for landscapes!

danielkaiser
06-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh! you can also use a Z Buffer in the compositing package of your choice to get to get the same results, the benefit of this is you can make changes faster, also you may be able to adjust the saturation only with this method.