PDA

View Full Version : How to make the .wav files useable ?

PhillSawyer
06-13-2007, 10:54 AM
In windows (not VT4) I went to to play the .wav file (only) for a project and received the message in windows media player that I need the audio codec referred to in "format tag 3".

Does anyone know what this means?

Is there a simpler way to use the .wav file ? I want to burn it to CD, then take it elsewhere to work on with ProTools.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phill

Jim_C
06-13-2007, 11:57 AM
If you are rendering this wav file out of VT to use in most other programs, use the Sterero setting , not anything labeled FP (floating point).

ProTools 'may' take a FP wav file, not sure.

PhillSawyer
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm newer to this than you might expect. Are you saying that I can't just copy the .wav file and use it as is in ProTools, but must further process it in VT4 ? If so, do you know the procedure???

And do you mean that VT4 creates a Floating Point .wav file and that this is non-compatible with some other programs ??

SBowie
06-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm newer to this than you might expect. Are you saying that I can't just copy the .wav file and use it as is in ProTools, but must further process it in VT4 ?Just as with video codecs like AVI, WAVE has options. So again, just as you have alternatives when you export video files from VT, you have alternative with WAVE files at the time of export.

Most apps can't read the quadrophonic AVI files and floating point stuff that VT is capable of putting out - so just select a stereo setting, typically 48k, 16bit when you render the audio in VT.