PDA

View Full Version : Converting 3DSmax objects

Cunhambebe
06-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Hi there. I've got a problem here. I've downloaded a free 3D object from the web (the emperor from Star Wars) but it seems impossible to open the object correctly in the modeler as well as in the render, even if I use LW plug-in that in thesis would let me do so.
We are making a very short animation for a community in Google's Orkut. What I would like to ask if there's someone here who could help to convert this object to **.lwo. Is there anyone who can help? The face is a little out of place, so is the left arm that is under the clothes and pointing down. Help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

Red_Oddity
06-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Converted via Max to Obj (Max said textures are missing, which is normal, since 3d max modelers are the most content file garbage creating lot i ever met). Add textures yourself.

acocq
06-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Alternatively, you could try AccuTrans (free/cheap) or PolyTrans (not so cheap, but very powerful) to convert the object.

Cheers,
Andreas

cresshead
06-13-2007, 08:18 AM
lwo object:-

Andyjaggy
06-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Question here with Deep Exploration you actually need Max installed to open or convert to Max objects. Is the same true with polytrans?

Red_Oddity
06-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Polytrans converts Max data from within Max (same with Maya)

cresshead
06-13-2007, 09:21 AM
to convert/open ANY .max file you need either 3dsmax, viz, flame or inferno.
note:- viz does not support animation of sub objects.

of course for the occasional conversions you can go get the latest demo version of max or viz rather than buying it!

i find FBX to be the best transferable format between 3dsmax and lightwave
as they move textures, surfaces and cameras, lights as well as keeping geometry really clean...note DO NOT have single point polys or 2 point polys in lightwave exported as they are not a valid item and will hang/crash/not be transfered.

i've also heard not so good things about polytrans...try it before you buy it...and to be honest fbx is free and 'works'.

cresshead
06-13-2007, 09:25 AM
additional:- texturing in lightwave for export:-
..lightwave's internal planar, cylindrical, cubic, atlas and spherical mapping is NOT fully supported in fbx...so use uvw mapping co ords.

Cunhambebe
06-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks so much you guys... Thank you very very much. I was thinking about Polytrans, but as you may know, many people seem to dislike this application (they say is too heavy)...

Red_Oddity: thank you very much, man! So, in order to use Polytrans you have to buy the other software too... Oh no, that's too bad and expensive.

acocq: I've never heard of AccuTrans. Thanks for the input. Can you please post a link here for us? - (I guess I'll google it). Thanks in advance.

cresshead: thanks so much for your help, really! Since I've neer heard of FBX, can you please tell me where I can get a copy of it since it's freeware? (I've heard about the other one, though - that is Deep Exploration), but I've never been successfull with it.

-Now I have to texture + adding some weight maps for the clothes. I hope it works.. ahhh and the skelegons too. That'll be fun! :)

-If I can animate the thing the way I want, I promise to upload it here or hosting it at any server, posting a link here later. May the force be with me (that means, US)!
Cheers,
Mark

Andyjaggy
06-13-2007, 10:48 AM
So FBX is an application or a format? I am a little confused there. Am I also understanding that it will transfer UV maps as well? If that is true you just made my day.

Andyjaggy
06-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Was just doing some research on FBX format and it sounds killer. I'll have to give it shot when I get home tonight. Assuming Deep Exploration supports it, which I think it does.

Andyjaggy
06-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Bummer Deep exploration won't export to FBX. I wonder why I even bought that program, it is completely useless for me.

Red_Oddity
06-14-2007, 04:04 AM
FBX CAN work, aslong as you keep it to mesh data, anything camera and light related gets forked in when imported in LW (from Maya or Max), probably has to do with rotation orders (which are locked in LW).
Also, since Autodesk took over Alias and Alias before that took over Kaydara (the creators of the FBX format and MotionBuilder) don't expect too many updates for this format anymore.

06-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Reading the above, I presume one can still only get anything out of a MAX file if one owns MAX to start with (unless you'r inside 30 days of a free trial!)
But at least the little darlings at Autodesk relented and have issued a free downloadable ACAD plugin which allows us once more to get meshes out of ACAD 2007+ using 3DSOUT.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9481286&linkID=9240618

Apparently when they developed ACAD2007 they were assured by users that no-one could possible want to use anything other than MAX to use models from ACAD.

acocq
06-14-2007, 05:38 AM
FBX CAN work, aslong as you keep it to mesh data, anything camera and light related gets forked in when imported in LW (from Maya or Max), probably has to do with rotation orders (which are locked in LW).
Also, since Autodesk took over Alias and Alias before that took over Kaydara (the creators of the FBX format and MotionBuilder) don't expect too many updates for this format anymore.

Is it still an issue with rotations being EULER angles instead of Quaternions ? From what I remember FBX only supported EULER angles and thus was easily subjected to gimbal lock.

I really wish the industry could agree on an open standard (e.g. Collada). We all have had bouts with importing / exporting stuff and getting it all screwed up ... :(

Cheers,
Andreas

cresshead
06-14-2007, 05:46 AM
i've moved camera and lights with no problem...also animation data from lw to max.

Cunhambebe
06-14-2007, 07:43 PM
acocq wrote:

I really wish the industry could agree on an open standard (e.g. Collada). We all have had bouts with importing / exporting stuff and getting it all screwed up ...

-I do agree with u. That's an excellent idea, ins't it? But really, I don't think the industry is too interested... :tsktsk:

JamesCurtis
06-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I think everyone wants THIER format to be the universal one!!

Andyjaggy
06-15-2007, 08:37 AM
At least Lightwave Objects are easily read and converted. People don't have to have LW installed to convert something.

Red_Oddity
06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Probably has to do with the fact that mesh data in Max and Maya can have histories or modifier stack wich can be influenced or created by 3rd party modeling tools, hence making it very difficult to export Max or MB/MA dta without those plugins.

acocq
06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Probably has to do with the fact that mesh data in Max and Maya can have histories or modifier stack wich can be influenced or created by 3rd party modeling tools, hence making it very difficult to export Max or MB/MA dta without those plugins.

Yup ... I checked the PolyTrans site and that's pretty much what the developer says ... apparently the MAX data is applicable only within the context of 3DSMax running ... without the app, the data can not be deciphered properly. :(

Cheers,
Andreas