PDA

View Full Version : New Macbook Pro...

azman_821009
06-13-2007, 02:04 AM
I want to buy new Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz & 4gb RAM. My question here is, can LW 9.2 :lwicon: run smooth & fast on this Macbook Pro? Specially for rendering & simple animation.

Thanks.

dsol
06-13-2007, 04:28 AM
As with any intel mac - if you run the CFM version of 9.2 (PPC only) it runs in emulation (using apple's "Rosetta" PPC emulator). To run at full speed either join the open beta program and use the current build of the Universal Binary (UB) version of 9.2, or run the Windows version using Bootcamp or Parallels/VMware.

wesleycorgi
06-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Further on this subject... I am in the market for a new Mac notebook. At my former company, I had the first generation of MacBook Pro's and I loved it --- the best Mac I've ever had. Since I use Lightwave for single frame images for print and an ocassional short animation, speed was really never an issue.

Since this will be on my dime, I am curious if anyone could give me feedback on whether I should get the most souped up MacBook (around $1650) or the lowest end MacBook Pro (about $1849 with the current $150 rebate)? Does a dedicated graphics card on MB Pro help with rendering at all or is this only a benefit for gamers? I will also perform a lot of Photoshop and light video editing.

Thanks ahead of time.

dsol
06-26-2007, 04:17 AM
The only reason I can see for getting a high-end MB over the low-end MBP is portability. This was an important issue for me at the time, hence my own purchase of a black MB. To be frank though, I wish I'd gone with the low-end MBP now. For 3D, the integrated graphics on the MB really suck and it's looking like more and more application software is becoming GPU accelerated these days. The GPU on the MBP will make working with openGL much less painful than on a MB. And if you plan on running FCP studio (the new version of motion is amazing), you can't even run it on a MB as it's very GPU dependent.

I'm using my MB for script writing, music and presentations - and it's fine for that. I think it'd struggle with anything more.

dsol
06-26-2007, 04:25 AM
The only reason I can see for getting a high-end MB over the low-end MBP is portability. This was an important issue for me at the time, hence my own purchase of a black MB. To be frank though, I wish I'd gone with the low-end MBP now. For 3D, the integrated graphics on the MB really suck and it's looking like more and more software is becoming GPU accelerated these days. The GPU on the MBP will make working with openGL much less painful than on a MB. And if you plan on running FCP studio (the new version of motion amazing), you can't run it on a MB as it's very GPU dependent.

I like the keyboard on the MB - it's better for touch-typing than the one on the MBP (IMHO), but if you want to use your laptop as a workstation replacement, then MBP all the way :)

Phil
06-27-2007, 04:17 AM
MBP. I'm not sure there's really much of a choice, especially given the woeful integrated graphics in the MB.

jeremyhardin
06-27-2007, 04:43 AM
true, but integrated graphics really only hinder you in games. their uses in 3d are, at present, and in my opionion, negligible.

Stingslang
06-28-2007, 03:29 PM
how does one join the universal binary beta program?

Chuck
06-28-2007, 03:40 PM
how does one join the universal binary beta program?

Registered users of LightWave v9 should see a banner with an invitation to join the Open Beta program when they log in to Registration. Once you fill out the electronic NDA and submit it, you'll get an email with info on participating in Open Beta and you can get an Open Beta key and download the UB version in your registration account. Within a few days, the forum admin will set your forum account so you can access the Open Beta discussion area.

Stingslang
06-28-2007, 04:26 PM
does lightwave run reasonably well under emulation?

kilvano
06-28-2007, 04:58 PM
The new mac book pros have a higher res screen for $100 which is cool.

Im looking at buying one just now...i dont know why...i can get the same on a PC but im just drawn to the silvery goodness of a mac book pro!

wesleycorgi
06-29-2007, 12:23 AM
I decided to go with the MB Pro --- I like the bigger screen and more RAM. As well, I liked the idea of better power consumption on the MBP (from my original notebook). It seems to be a bit cooler. I used to have a book about 2" thick on my lap with my first MBP and within 15 minutes, my legs were still getting pretty toasty. Now, I can use a 1/4" notepad and I don't notice the heat.

I had to hunt it down. Apple online has a 5-7 shipping time and all the Apple stores in the area were sold out; none of the other online and b&m resellers had any as well. I just had to walk over all the people camping out for the iPhone:)

Phil
06-29-2007, 01:03 AM
does lightwave run reasonably well under emulation?

It runs about 3 times slower than Windows on the same hardware, based on benchmarks under Boot Camp and Rosetta. It's enough to make me reboot into Boot Camp to do any serious work. UB LW should be as fast, or faster, than Win32 LW on the same hardware, but only OB folks and NewTek know for certain. CFM LW also runs both cores in my MBP at around 20% even when idle. This is apparently due to the way that the legacy version of LW was put together. UB LW should address this as well.

The other issue is that LW under emulation is not supported by NewTek. Plugin vendors also will not generally support their products under Rosetta, simply due to the potential for errors to be caused by flaws in the emulation layer that cannot be worked around. GLSL crashes, for example, are a known issue with Rosetta and LW.