PDA

View Full Version : 9.2 Crash Crash Crash please help.........

Rhothgar
06-12-2007, 10:06 PM
OK I give up....

I sure would like to use 9.2. But It just does not seem like it's gonna happen. DANG IT!

I hate to bug people about this I feel like an idiot. But I believe I'm not the only one out there that has a love hate relationship with my computer. :compbeati I'm an ARTIST Jim! Not a desk top support guy!.

*sigh* I'm currently running Windows 2000 professional SP4 (I wonder if 9.2 will only run well on XP...)

9.0 seems to run just fine. (very cool) I love Lightwave.

9.2 crashes every time I try and render one single image. Why!? Why!? Why?:cursin:

Note: I still have 9.0 installed. could there be some kind of conflict here?

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it very much....

I sure would like to use 9.2.

GraphXs
06-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Make sure LW9.2 is using its own configs, maybe thats the issue.

eokeisler
06-12-2007, 10:38 PM
I use 9.2 on W2K SP4 - no 'problemo here.

GraphXs ' suggestion is worth checking out. I've heard the same thing about config file mixups causing 9.2 instability.

Phil
06-13-2007, 12:31 AM
If you ran any of the beta releases, or have brought forward configs from 9.0, then you will hit problems. You need to nuke the config files. The best option here is, if you have any customisations for menus or keys, to save those out from Modeler and/or Layout.

Then delete the 9.2 config files (LWHUB9.CFG, LW9.CFG and LWM9.CFG) and start everything from scratch. You can keep LWEXT9.CFG in my experience, which helps if you have a lot of plugins around.

Be very careful to keep your 9.0 and 9.2 configs separated (using the -c redirection switch).

You will also possibly get crashes if you are using old third party camera plugins (e.g. the tiltshift one). The plugin system for cameras changed in 9.2 compared to 9.0 and the old plugins now cause a crash.

Rhothgar
06-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the help. I actually checked with tech support...Imagine that.
They pretty much told me the same things. I'll just kill 9.0 and delete the config files as suggested....My graphics card is pretty old too... Gforce 4400 (the drivers are up to date but... well... the card is old old old. And to think I was so excited when I paid 400 bones for it. (a long time ago) *rubs hands together* Time to upgrade.

Thanks again for all your help.

sean hargreaves
06-13-2007, 08:20 PM
You need to get a Mac. Completely stable!

colkai
06-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Well, yay for me then, I run 9.2 on my home PC of AMD1800+ with 512MB of ram under Windows 2000 SP4 just fine N dandy.
Even runs on my old PC at work - A P3-550.

Both pc's have GeForce FX5200 card in 'em. I find LW as stable, if not more so, than many folks have mentioned. :D

sean hargreaves
06-14-2007, 10:23 AM
It always seems theres bugs between versions. Versions that are, for example 9.0, 9.5, 10.0 are better to wait for, they just seem more stable (barring some problems)! Upgrading to 9.1, 9.2, 9.3......whats the point? Nothing dynamic is going to happen in these small upgrades, and they just seem to cause everyone problems. Its like, at the software lab they have the 'A' crews working on 9.5, while they give their 'B' crews the little upgrades like 9.2 to program. I'm talking in general tems about most software, not just Lightwave. Just an opinion!

sean hargreaves
06-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Like I said, I am speaking in general terms.

sean hargreaves
06-14-2007, 10:37 AM
I can't expect you to understand Neverco, you're a Banana.

sean hargreaves
06-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Sorry, silly me, I mispelled.....its actually Neverko, right? I'm just a stupid android with headphones on!

JML
06-14-2007, 10:42 AM
It always seems theres bugs between versions. Versions that are, for example 9.0, 9.5, 10.0 are better to wait for, they just seem more stable (barring some problems)! Upgrading to 9.1, 9.2, 9.3......whats the point? Nothing dynamic is going to happen in these small upgrades,

this was true for LW8 updates,

but not for LW9. this 9.2 update is huge !

check that page for more infos :
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/v92.php

sean hargreaves
06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
No, its not dynamic enough for me. I expect big changes. Lightning, wind, rain, explosions, bananas........

Bananas?

sean hargreaves
06-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Just wait till version 15.1.3 comes out, now that, THAT will have a lot of buttons!

sean hargreaves
06-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Stop crying Rothgar, pull yourself together, we're all in this as one damn it! Keep your head high and watch where you step.

Rhothgar
06-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Quote of the century. In the hilarious category :D

He just needs a modern graphics card that's actually supported. Running old hardware on an old operating system is not optimal for stability.

Yes new hardware....:thumbsup:

Lightwave has always been stable for me until now...and since 9.0 runs fine I was a little surprised to have the problem with 9.2...but I can't run any of the new PC games either so I doubt it's the program. (yes I admit I'm a gamer too)

It's always a little sad when the system you built a few years ago is no longer as cool as it once seemed to be...but it's always exciting to build or buy a new one....I think this is a good excuse for a total upgrade....*considers upping the limit on his credit card*

Thanks for all the help.

Rhothgar
06-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Stop crying Rothgar, pull yourself together, we're all in this as one damn it! Keep your head high and watch where you step.

:cry: sniff sniff ... Lightwave people are cool. :)

Huege
06-26-2007, 10:04 AM
I have same problem here. Lightwave 9.2 freezes computer just after finishing the rendering. I removed all plugins, I have checked memmory for errors, I erased config files, I removed all old versions of Lightwave, I have cleared the Windows registry and installed a new clear instalation and freezing appears. I started a new scene. Still freezing. Cannot get it to work. It is not on the system side. No posts anywhere on the net. Any idea? :help:

Huege
06-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Windows XP Professional SP2 64-bit, workstation, 2GB RAM. Freezing comes in Scene precisely after the rendering FG has finished and I click Continue. Continue should turn off the rendering buffer window and open the final image in the viewer. In this action the Windows comes to total freeze. But this appeared also accidentaly in Modeler or other situations. But the first mentioned happens always. In system log is no trace of problem. Other application does not cause the problem. Boris.