PDA

View Full Version : Here they go again rewriting history and cutting NewTek out of it.

DiscreetFX
06-12-2007, 06:07 PM
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/fast-and-furious/no-iphone-sdk-means-no-iphone-killer-apps-267899.php

In this article about the iPhone, Gizmodo credits the Mac and not NewTek's Amiga Video Toaster with starting the desktop video revolution. Read it and be misinformed!

"Those applications spawned two revolutions: desktop publishing (including photo editing) and desktop video. It was the Mac and its third-party apps that brought radical changes that have deeply affected us, not the Mac alone."

I hate seeing history be rewritten time and time again and cutting NewTek out.

prospector
06-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I just posted but all replies have to be 'approved' so don't think it will show.

hrgiger
06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes, and here is the Wiki for Newtek where it touts them as the creators of the desktop video revolution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewTek

RonGC
06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Hold on, re-read the article, they credit pagemaker and photoshop as the beginnings of desktop publishing and video.

quote: "PageMaker, Photoshop, Word or Premiere in the iPhone, powerful applications taking full advantage of the unique capabilities of the hardware, the operating system and its frameworks.

Those applications spawned two revolutions: desktop publishing (including photo editing) and desktop video."

It does not say that the Mac originated these desktop revolutions just that it has basically pushed them forward in todays era. Put more creative power in the hands of everyday people.

I have to agree though that it is a very poorly thought out and written piece of fluff, that is easy to misinterpret.

Ron

Kuzey
06-13-2007, 05:44 AM
PageMaker, Photoshop, Word or Premiere in the iPhone

Wow...that would be so cool and I hope LW makes it to the iPhone too...if true that is :i_agree:

Also, what's this thing called Newtek :hey:

Kuzey

mattclary
06-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Those applications spawned two revolutions: desktop publishing (including photo editing) and desktop video."

It does not say that the Mac originated these desktop revolutions just that it has basically pushed them forward in todays era. Put more creative power in the hands of everyday people.

spawned=originated

Lightwolf
06-13-2007, 06:35 AM
Well, to be quite honest... The Toaster only spawned the revolution in NTSC countries... so from a PAL perspective it doesn't even count.

However, it was surely the Amiga that spawned desktop video (just as the Atari spawned desktop audio).

Cheers,
Mike

Puguglybonehead
06-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Well, to be quite honest... The Toaster only spawned the revolution in NTSC countries... so from a PAL perspective it doesn't even count.

However, it was surely the Amiga that spawned desktop video (just as the Atari spawned desktop audio).

Cheers,
Mike

Ha! I know musicians that are still using their Ataris.

RonGC
06-16-2007, 03:13 PM
To me the Toaster was very expensive when it first came out as you had to buy the whole system to run it. It was NTSC only , and really targeted at the commercial North American sector, not truly desktop.

To me the start of the true desktop video revolution is owned by the Video app that was readily available and usable to everyone and actually put the power of video in the hands of everyone..

Not sure if that was Premiere or not, but i think it may have been.

But this is just my opinion, not necessarily fact. LOL

Ron

Bog
06-16-2007, 03:47 PM
By your criteria, and by my recollection Ron, that'd be Art Department Pro also on the 'miggy.

Then again, history's written by the winners, and as Amiga owners... well, were on the losing side. Still not sure it was the wrong side.

RonGC
06-16-2007, 03:52 PM
I still have my Amiga, just boxed up though, couldn't bring myself to toss it.
If history could be a do over..... LOL

Ron

Bog
06-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Mulligan!

Lightwolf
06-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Then again, history's written by the winners, and as Amiga owners... well, were on the losing side. Still not sure it was the wrong side.
How true is that...

ADPro was amazing :) ( Check out the first name here: http://www.silhouettefx.com/sfx/about.htm - I met him at an Amiga Expo once :D )

Cheers,
Mike

Bog
06-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Few idiots tried to fight it. Amonsgt 'em... myself.