PDA

View Full Version : Moving Starry Night Scene

TWC
06-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Hello all,

This isn't necessarily a tip or trick, but I need a scene or a tga sequence that looks like moving stars at night (kind of like Star Wars). I tried editing one of the rotating earth scenes from logo arsenal, but the stars weren't actually "moving" and I'm not sure how to make them move.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tammy
TWC

JackJ
06-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Shoot video of the starfield Windows screensaver? You can customize how many stars and how fast...one way to go, depending on the level of realism you need. Process it with a little motion blur and you might even be able to go to Hyperspace.

JackJ
06-12-2007, 05:55 PM
If you're looking for the way stars move from the ground (I don't remember that scene from Star Wars, but its been a while), the long way of course is a long time-lapse shot of the night sky. For making your own, mapping a starfield onto a giant sphere and then rotating it in 3D (or maybe 2.5D with some plug-ins) is another approach.

TWC
06-13-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't need complete realism, but it can't look "cartoony" either. I'm thinking kind of like the effect of driving through a light snow at night.... where it looks like the "stars" are coming at you....

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much a beginner and self taught at that, so I'm not really sure how I would do any of what you suggested. LOL.... I was kind of hoping that I was on the right track with taking that logo arsenal scene, removing the earth and the logo and finding a way to animate the background. This is actually going to be used for a background for an intro to a television show.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Tammy

wvp
06-15-2007, 07:23 AM
As jackJ mentioned, go into the WIndows screen saver and select starfield and see if that is sort of what you want. IF it is, then you need to capture it into a file and then you could play with blurring and other things to tweak it.
If you only have SE you would need to focus a camera on the computer screen or you might be able to connect a video out from the montior card (if it has an svideo) to a deck or camcorder to record it.

TWC
06-15-2007, 08:02 AM
I actually did film the screen saver with my digital camera yesterday. It is exactly what I wanted. Thanks guys! I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me to begin with. :)