PDA

View Full Version : Changing track object during animation

creativecontrol
06-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way to change track and parent object during an animation. For example, track the camera to null1 then switch to null2 or parent a pipe to mechanical device 1 then switch to device 2 without making 2 scenes?

4dartist
06-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm sure there is some way to do that but if i had to do it right now and didn't want to take the time to search for a solution, i would make two cameras, one tracking device1 and the other tracking device2, at the point of trade off just render from the other camer. The only difficulty would be in making the transition smooth, it wouldn't be too hard. Just animate one camera and duplicate the keys to the second. Then make your objects being tracked flow into eachother smoothly at the point and it should look pretty damn good if not perfect. You'll just ahve to set up two renders. ;)

Just an idea.

Benjamin

Surrealist.
06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Parenter in the motion options (add modifier) does this - sort of. I have heard about 3P plugins that do it better, but don't remember what they were called.

If you are going to use perenter, I would suggest doing some experiments with it and see how it reacts. If the new tracking object is far away or moving in an extreme new direction the parent function will jump to a new vector and look odd. Both objects should be traveling close to each other and the tracking objects need to be sort of going in the same direction - kind of like a relay race in a sense.

Check out this video (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/p2_web.mov) and play with it to see if it works for you.

creativecontrol
06-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the help guys :)

archijam
07-06-2007, 07:05 AM
You'll just ahve to set up two renders. ;)

... and make sure the motion blur matches, if any.

j.

Sekhar
07-06-2007, 10:01 AM
How about making a null3 that follows null1 and then switches to null2 (using expressions) and then using that null3 as the camera target?