PDA

View Full Version : New to lightwave,Need help/advice

billuke
06-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi everyone! I am very new to 3d modeling (I'm using LW7.0),and I am trying to do a documentary on blindness. I need to come up with a Walking cane (folding type) that has facial features EYES.NOSE,MOUTH, that can talk to the user of the cane. I have been using LW for about a month,and am lost.
I could send pictures of the actual cane that I want to model.This is for non-profit,and any help would be greatly appreciated !

colkai
06-12-2007, 01:59 PM
The easy way is to build the cane, eyes, mouth eyebrows as separate objects.
Pretty much can all be done with primitives apart from the mouth which I'd recommend using Sub-Ds (can't recall - does LW7.5 have sub-Ds ?)

You ARE using 7.5 aren't you? that was a free upgrade for LW7 and well worth having. I think my LW7 was 7.5C if I recall.

hrgiger
06-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Yes, if you are new to 3D, I would recommend building your facial features as seperate objects, much like a lot of cartoon characters sometimes are.

billuke
06-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey'Thanks for the replies. Unfortunetly I'm using only 7.0 I can't upgrade because it came with the editing pc I bought with no documentation.Aside from that, I know what you guy's are saying,but It cant look or react too cartoonish,or come off stupid! The face of the cane is actually going to be near the bottom tip of the cane,as to give a birds - eye veiw of what the cane is seeing. I just am not sure if I should make the face part of the cane ie: wrap around the diameter, or have it (the Face) extend outside of the diameter. P.S. Your not the hr geiger of Alien fame ,are you?

billuke
06-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Never mind hr. different spelling.

colkai
06-13-2007, 04:22 AM
I'd say, face outside the cane, I would imagine seeing the eyes and mouth extended. This is something I threw together as an example.

billuke
06-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks colkai for the render. This idea is good,but it's a little big.It might have to be this size though too stand out in the scene(s)

cresshead
06-13-2007, 09:23 AM
P.S. Your not the hr geiger of Alien fame ,are you?

...if he is..well, i'd be a 'little' surprised!:D

colkai
06-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks colkai for the render. This idea is good,but it's a little big.It might have to be this size though too stand out in the scene(s)
Yeah, I mean, I literally threw it together in about 10 mins to show you the idea of separation. Naturally scale / appearance is going to be driven by what you want.
Make the eyes and mouth too small though and they'll lose impact, it's a balancing act, like most things 3D. :)

billuke
06-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the input colkai ,You'll probably see more stupid questions posted here by me!

colkai
06-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the input colkai ,You'll probably see more stupid questions posted here by me!
Hey, I'm not short of stupid answers! ;) :p

Tom Wood
06-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I'd suggest either a very small mouth, or no mouth at all so that you can skip the lipsynch. Big Eyes, Small Mouth is a cartoon method in and of itself. Most people look at the eyes for expression. Use either the eyelid or the eyebrow to express emotion. Put a pair of glasses on it and you can even use the shape of the frames for that - watch Dexter's Laboratory as an example. Hey, eyeglasses on a seeing eye cane! :D

billuke
06-13-2007, 08:02 PM
COOL Tom !!

Silkrooster
06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
I'd suggest either a very small mouth, or no mouth at all so that you can skip the lipsynch. Big Eyes, Small Mouth is a cartoon method in and of itself. Most people look at the eyes for expression. Use either the eyelid or the eyebrow to express emotion. Put a pair of glasses on it and you can even use the shape of the frames for that - watch Dexter's Laboratory as an example. Hey, eyeglasses on a seeing eye cane! :D
Go one better, put hands on it, holding a leash to a seeing eye dog. :D
Silk

sean hargreaves
06-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Guys, that exchange was priceless. Cane to seeing eye dog kills me! HR Giger comments, ha ha!